Kathie Lee Gifford

RIPPED by Fans for

Dissing Parents of Druggies

8/8/2012 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_kathy-lee-gifford_tmz
Kathie Lee Gifford
is being SKEWERED by hordes of angry fans as we speak ... one even calling her a "thoughtless human being" -- after the TV personality strongly implied that parents of drug addicts were FAILURES.

Kathie recently spoke to Family Circle magazine -- and in the interview, she said, "I'm not a perfect mom, but my kids haven't been arrested, in rehab or kicked out of school, so I must be doing something right!"

The implication -- parents of kids who HAVE been arrested or struggled with drug addictions are NOT doing something right.

This didn't sit too well with many of Kathie's fans -- who have since taken to the talk show host's Facebook page to express their disgust.

Among the comments -- "Well Kathy, here is a pic of my little brother who we lost at the age of 33 yrs old due to a DISEASE called DRUG ADDICTION ... I find it funny we were both raised by the same woman called MOM ... I am NOT an ADDICT and NEVER was ... Poor parenting?? Gimme a break."

"Shame on you Kathie Lee Gifford, shame on you. You are a thoughtless human being."

"Kathy do you know the first thing they teach you in family counseling for loved ones of addicts? The three C's; you DIDN'T cause it, you CAN'T cure it, and you CAN'T control it."

"Poor parenting?? God bless you and your great parenting skills you suck at being educated on addiction."

"I'm glad you never had to face any of your babies drowning in a disease they could not be cured from. I lost my baby at the age of 32 to a heroin overdose in Sept 2010. I am a doctor and worked hard my entire life to give her the best."

So we gotta ask ...

fonzie

And she has zillions to keep he kids entertained. Who has time to do drugs when you can shop and review movies all day.

jillyb

ENTITLED MUCH--cody and cassidy are not that old-If Ive learnend anything from being a mom its- Keep your mouth shut! The second you proclaim your childs "perfection" something really stupid happens!!!

I am Spartacus

She may not have a kid who does those things but she is a grown woman getting drunk on a MORNING television show... doesn't exactly scream "Mother of the Year" either.

PAT

She was just patting herself on the back... Like any parent would of kids that they are proud of... I guess she just didn't communicate it the right way for people to understand her. I hear alot of folks here that are offended clearly offended, becuase you have a loved one that's on drugs.
I understand both views, but any parent of any child knows that every flaw that your child has the child that you brought into this world and took care of...EVERY FLAW is a reflection of your FAILURE as a parent... I am a PARENT speaking and this is what I believe to be true... It's easy to say my child is grown and makes his or her own decisions.. YES that is true, but your still their parent and their decisions reflect off the value and principles that they were brought up in. When you say that phrase as a parent "They are grown they are going to do what they want" These are the steps of a parent already washing their hands of their childs doings...
Drugs are a monster yes they are, but before your child dabbles in DRUGS heavy drugs there are signs people they don't just try HEROIN one day just because there were steps that led them up to it. and again there are signs..
So don't knock her just because she is giving herself a pat on the back...

CJ

Oh don't worry Kathie .... your little spoiled rotten darlings will be NIGHTMARES to anyone they are in relationships with. And THAT would be ON YOU!

Simone

Family dynamics play a role in drug addiction. Period. This doesn't mean anyone is BLAMING the parents in every case, but the fact is that our personalities and decisions are shaped by the environment we grow up in.

Tony Redd

that's why she is off TV now

D

I'm sure I'll get kicked about for this, but everyone is instantly fingerpointing today at the slightest misjudgement over something someone else said. I think it might have been misinterpreted, but that's just my opinion.

barcham

I am fed up with addiction being called a disease. Until someone can find an organism that is causing it, it is a condition, or a behaviour problem, not a disease. Hep C is a disease, Cancer is a disease, being a drunk or a drug addict - NOT a disease.

Calling it a disease takes all the responsibility away from the addict when what they really need is to TAKE responsibility for their actions, not pass them off by saying it's not my fault, "I have a disease". Enough already.

windytimes

You people love to read in to things! If you know her personality at all after years of her being on TV you would know she wasn't saying other parents are failures, she was joking about herself I'm sure! People with no lives looove to make mountains out of mole hills! And if you all hate her so much what do you care what she says or thinks??

DirtySouth

First she asks Martin Short about his dead wife as though she were alive; then she disses Aretha Franklin; on top of that she drinks constantly on the Today show (ironic) and acts like a complete imbecile; now this.

No wonder the Reeg replaced her with a younger chick who made sense and now runs her own show. Way to succeed Kathie Lee.

ann

she is ignorant and pathetic.
go ahead Kathy Lee Gifford..have another drink...so,are your parents failures? alcohol abuse and drug abuse are both diseases!.

Sarah

Kathie Lee is both right and wrong. There are some kids who have drug issues where the parents did everything right but it happened anyway. But there are others where one has to ask, "Who let you be a parent?" Those are the kids who don't surprise anyone when they have drug issues. It's case by case.

ashley

I'm not a big fan of hers, but she does have a point. Some people are just too dam sensitive, get over yourselves!

melody

Kathy-
You’re pretty naïve if you believe kids who’ve never been arrested, in rehab, or kicked out of school don’t use drugs.