Kathie Lee Gifford

RIPPED by Fans for

Dissing Parents of Druggies

8/8/2012 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_kathy-lee-gifford_tmz
Kathie Lee Gifford
is being SKEWERED by hordes of angry fans as we speak ... one even calling her a "thoughtless human being" -- after the TV personality strongly implied that parents of drug addicts were FAILURES.

Kathie recently spoke to Family Circle magazine -- and in the interview, she said, "I'm not a perfect mom, but my kids haven't been arrested, in rehab or kicked out of school, so I must be doing something right!"

The implication -- parents of kids who HAVE been arrested or struggled with drug addictions are NOT doing something right.

This didn't sit too well with many of Kathie's fans -- who have since taken to the talk show host's Facebook page to express their disgust.

Among the comments -- "Well Kathy, here is a pic of my little brother who we lost at the age of 33 yrs old due to a DISEASE called DRUG ADDICTION ... I find it funny we were both raised by the same woman called MOM ... I am NOT an ADDICT and NEVER was ... Poor parenting?? Gimme a break."

"Shame on you Kathie Lee Gifford, shame on you. You are a thoughtless human being."

"Kathy do you know the first thing they teach you in family counseling for loved ones of addicts? The three C's; you DIDN'T cause it, you CAN'T cure it, and you CAN'T control it."

"Poor parenting?? God bless you and your great parenting skills you suck at being educated on addiction."

"I'm glad you never had to face any of your babies drowning in a disease they could not be cured from. I lost my baby at the age of 32 to a heroin overdose in Sept 2010. I am a doctor and worked hard my entire life to give her the best."

So we gotta ask ...

sidithers

This old dingbat has been putting her foot in her mouth alot lately

Internet Tough Guy

She's a drunk!!

Chrama

People are idiots. I am no KLG fan, but all she did was used a COMMON everyday and gets ripped for it? Really? when referring to something in which you have been fortunate, it is common to say "I must be doing something right". She was not saying parents with kids who have developed drug issues did anything wrong. It pains me to come to Kathy Lee's defense, but in this instance, people are getting their boxers in a bunch for no reason.

Staci

To add to my other comment, it would be as if I said "My parents are so awesome, they are still married" Did I say that people who are divorced are horrible people? No, but thats kind of what people are doing with KLG's comment.

Staci

Maybe Im just way off, but her comment didn't say anything to the parents of addicts, she just said that none of these things happened to her kids...why are people so quick to jump to conclusions and get on her case for something she never actually said?

sean

If Karma has a say in the matter, I'd guess we're just days from the TMZ headline, "Cody Gifford Arrested In Massive Meth Lab Sting."

QE2

I think Gifford and her husband may have provided structure, love and the right enviornment to assist her kids to turn out well. However, many parents do that and their kids still have issues with drugs, etc.. Perhaps it is a metter of how parents handle whatever it is that their children go through? The disease of addiction may be an exception, of course.

KISS

Kathie's mouth is the equivalent of her *******..

Kristoferian

That is Defineitely a wrong thing to say, my sister's best friend turned into a drug addict, and her mother was probably one of the sweetest and most caring people I have ever met

sidithers

A good parent makes thier children proud of them
Dont think this loon's children are to proud now

MaryD

Oh come on, it's not like she purposely tried to say that parents of addicts are bad parents. All she was trying to say is that her kids have made pretty good life choices despite mistakes she has made as a parent. Get over it. (This is coming from someone who has never had any opinion on Kathie Lee.)

charley

dont like her, but she has one hell of a point...parents are a success when their children succeed...and when they use drugs ..its a cry for help that most parents dont see or pay attention too until its too late...as a drug counselor I see this everyday...parents become tired of their childs problems so they just give up and thats wrong!

Lindy

========
Oh please..some people just can't handle the truth..

Liz

Oh here we go! Bashing ANOTHER Christian. Un-freeking-believable!!!

Brittany123456

How dare she judge any one for being an addict it is a disease. . She should really just learn to keep that nasty face of hers shut.