Kathie Lee Gifford

RIPPED by Fans for

Dissing Parents of Druggies

8/8/2012 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_kathy-lee-gifford_tmz
Kathie Lee Gifford
is being SKEWERED by hordes of angry fans as we speak ... one even calling her a "thoughtless human being" -- after the TV personality strongly implied that parents of drug addicts were FAILURES.

Kathie recently spoke to Family Circle magazine -- and in the interview, she said, "I'm not a perfect mom, but my kids haven't been arrested, in rehab or kicked out of school, so I must be doing something right!"

The implication -- parents of kids who HAVE been arrested or struggled with drug addictions are NOT doing something right.

This didn't sit too well with many of Kathie's fans -- who have since taken to the talk show host's Facebook page to express their disgust.

Among the comments -- "Well Kathy, here is a pic of my little brother who we lost at the age of 33 yrs old due to a DISEASE called DRUG ADDICTION ... I find it funny we were both raised by the same woman called MOM ... I am NOT an ADDICT and NEVER was ... Poor parenting?? Gimme a break."

"Shame on you Kathie Lee Gifford, shame on you. You are a thoughtless human being."

"Kathy do you know the first thing they teach you in family counseling for loved ones of addicts? The three C's; you DIDN'T cause it, you CAN'T cure it, and you CAN'T control it."

"Poor parenting?? God bless you and your great parenting skills you suck at being educated on addiction."

"I'm glad you never had to face any of your babies drowning in a disease they could not be cured from. I lost my baby at the age of 32 to a heroin overdose in Sept 2010. I am a doctor and worked hard my entire life to give her the best."

So we gotta ask ...

VooDoo

I do not afgree with what she said. However Really!!!! The public is just to sensitive!!!!!

redbruin

Here is a FACT that alot of you seem to be missing.....aside from people who become addicted to pain medications after medical emergencies, addictions ALL begin with a CHOICE!!!! The person must CHOOSE to ingest whatever it is they become addicted to!!! These days with all the facts that are available to people about drugs and addiction statistics, YES it is the fault of the PARENTS, INDIVIDUALS and SYSTEMS we have in place in this country!!!! Saying addiction is a "disease" is simply a cop out for making horrible decisions in ones own life!!!

Wow ...

This is such a fine line. As truth be told, some parents are absolutely to blame for their children's addictions. Some of which use right next to them. While other parents have done their 'job' well and still have a child with a 'disease'. I understand her point. However, it doesn't mean all parents of addicts are to blame...

MsSuburbia

Some would argue that staying married to a philanderer is not setting a very good example as a mother.

Lulubelle

Kathie Lee is a silly, stupid, sanctimonious woman. What an unfeeling, uncaring idiot. I hope she loses her show.

Kiko

So wouldn't that make her a failure as a wife since Frank had all those affairs?

Stef

We could turn this around on her BIG time. Her husband cheater on her, so we could say she's a bad wife if her husband had to stray...Just sayin'.

I wonder what she must think of children of drug Addicts (who have NO control who their parents are). Most kids I know what better than what they come from......SMH Dumb @$$

LoveJac23

Ah come on. Ya's really surprised at what comes out of this mouth? #1...It's Kathie Lee. 2..It's Kathie Lee. Was she even sober when she said this? I'd be a hot mess to if I ever took my cheating sob hubby back. But Im not. My man's faithful! So, KL...Shush it already.

momxfive

I've got 5 kids only 1 is addicted. Oh I wish I were perfect like this bi*ch. What kind of person was Mrs. Gifford when she was slavin' out those kids to make her clothes. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!!!

Brendano

Addiction isn't a disease. Tell someone with cancer that you're coke addiction is the same thing...gimme a break.

Daisy

Kathy is crazy and does not know what the hell she is talking about. My brother whom i love with all my heart is currently battling a drug addiction. My mom had 6 kids and he is the only one in our family that has an addiction. My mother did her best to raise us and the fact that my brother is battling that disease does not meant that she was a bad parent. how dear she say that, I pray to god that she will never know what it is to have someone you love have an addiction.

stargazer

She has no talent, is flat out ignorant, and is an overall poor excuse for a human being. She's also an alcoholic, so who is she to say anything about drug abuse?

kitnplayn

I don't know this doctor, but I hope he didn't work too hard to give his child material things, that can leave a child feeling emotionally neglected. Or, maybe he gave her too much, and she felt undeserving. The human psyche is a very fragile organ, and societies have become very vulgar and demeaning. It is imperative that children are given the highest priority during the years when their brains are developing, and if governments and politicians were doing their jobs instead of living like celebrities on your tax dollars, then they would be assisting families and communities to ensure that children get a mentally healthy start in their lives.

Babbar

Disease is a cop out...It's starts off as a choice....Whey did they decide to make that choice? Nobody forced that pipe to their mouth or that needle in their vein...Think People!

Digger

Stupid and arrogant comment. But no one ever confused her as being a member of mensa. There are scores of great parents who did their best and to the rest of the worlds standards, everything right in raising their kids and kids still screw up. What a dumb b---h!