« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Star

I Just Got FIRED Over

Kobe Rape Joke

8/10/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0730-wrestler-kobe-bryant-wwe-article-1
WWE star Abraham Washington has just been FIRED after making a Kobe Bryant rape joke on live television last week -- and he's PISSED ... claiming the WWE has "turned its back" on him.

As we previously reported, the WWE issued an apology for its July 30 live broadcast of "Monday Night Raw" -- during which Washington took the mic and said a wrestler named Titus O'Neil was "like Kobe Bryant at a hotel in Colorado ... he's unstoppable."

Now, according to Washington, the WWE has taken further action after the joke, terminating his contract entirely.

Obviously, Washington is NOT happy -- taking to his Twitter moments ago with a barrage of angry messages ... like, "It was the #WWE that made me bold and now it has turned it's back on me."

"Just be normal shut up and be a yes man so you can collect your check and feel like your special. #SELLOUTS!!"

"I remember a time when the WWE didn't care about breaking the mold but now everyone is so afraid of their own shadow. #RemeberTheFans"

"Thank you WWE for creating me and then killing me because I only portrayed what I grew up watching... The #WWE!!"

A rep for the WWE tells TMZ ... "Unfortunately, Brian Jossie, playing the character of A.W. was terminated because he continued to exhibit poor judgment by making offensive and inappropriate comments on live television and on social media."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

angie

they were probably planning his firing right after this ,im sure cena had a hand in it

SittingInJudgement

Hey SIDITHERS & everyone else crying like little girls, let me wrap this up in a bow for you:

NO ONE is condoning rape, you hypersensitive jackasses. If anything, maybe it's a good thing that people still bring it up so that no one forgets what a s***bag Kobe is, as he and his team of lawyers did the best job they could sweeping it under the rug. The joke AW made calls that to mind--he was NOT making a joke about rape, he WAS making a joke about Kobe Bryant not being able to hear or understand the word 'no'.

I'm sure you're also out protesting "Family Guy" and any other show, comedian or entertainer that tries to get people to lighten the f*ck up..

So, smoke a bowl, take a valium, do whatever you have to do to allow yourself to climb down from your oh, so pious pedestal and if you're going to bitch about something, please understand what you're actually bitching about.

As it stands, you either lack critical thinking skills, are not quite literate enough to understand the words that were actually printed-or, OR (and I suspect this to be the closest to the truth), you're just an idiot.

Cindy

You have to stop covering these athletes all the time that most of us have never heard - it is really getting boring. They are not celebs, please focus people!!!!!!

Anonymous

He made a rape joke on a TV-PG show that WWE markets towards kids, and he blames WWE for firing him over it? He caused his own problem. While I don't think he deserved a full release, he did deserve a punishment of some sort, so I think WWE did the right thing here.

BrettHD

The guys not wrong. The Wwe just doesn't get it anymore... They don't get, nor care what their fans actually want.... If they did their ratings wouldn't be lower than wcw's were when they went out of business.
They had the chance to turn it around last summer when Punk stepped up and spoke out. People other than long time wrestling fans were talking about the wwe again... Yet they put the title on him and by November shut his open mic down and forced him back into reciting terrible scripts that Stephanie was pulling out of her a$$ (there certainly isn't anything resembling a brain in her head, so it's gotta come from somewhere).

They're just utterly clueless and Ive lost all faith they'll ever get it back.

Smashed

IMMA EAT A CHEEZEBURGER BIOTCHES.

arale norimaki

Does anybody else think WWE sucks now?‎

wwf attitude era RIP 1996-2001

kobe rape that so 2003

sunnyjazzislove

Our freedom of speech is slowly being washed away. I don't care about the WWE & I certainly couldn't care less about Kobe Bryant, but this is ridiculous & a small but scary glimpse of things to come nationwide.

GabriellaDieleLock

If WWE wasn't PG, that would've went over great. WWE is worthless now.. you can't even make a joke.

H.T

Who Cares, its all fake and Rap is a joke anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Lake

WWE is off base here. Kobe did rape that girl, and he settled with her to avoid a trial. WWE should not support a rapist. A.W. is a hero!

John

What a cry baby on twitter acting like he made WWE.. he is a nobody and he was fired for saying something stupid enough to get WWE sued.

One of the first rules is not put your promotion in a legal issue... Its one thing to draw heat but this was just stupid.

Jesus he can't even figure out he is not drawing enough to even keep his contract.. weak..

jpm4444

The WWE is acting politically correct for one reason; Linda McMahon DESPERATELY wants to win her election.

WWE also refused to lay off anyone this quarter purely because the didn't want the loss of jobs used against her during her campaign.

It's not a coincidence all this pg stuff occurred after she began her campaign.

wtf happen

I Hate it AW was old school I been watching since the 90s Im done attitude will never come back 30 now but my 2 boys love your show 8 and 10

katepotate

As a real victim of this type of crime I am offended that Kobe is still harassed about this. The type of girl that accused him of this had 9 different types of DNA in her body. It gives real victims an extremely hard time prosecuting real rapists. So sad

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments