« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Star

I Just Got FIRED Over

Kobe Rape Joke

8/10/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0730-wrestler-kobe-bryant-wwe-article-1
WWE star Abraham Washington has just been FIRED after making a Kobe Bryant rape joke on live television last week -- and he's PISSED ... claiming the WWE has "turned its back" on him.

As we previously reported, the WWE issued an apology for its July 30 live broadcast of "Monday Night Raw" -- during which Washington took the mic and said a wrestler named Titus O'Neil was "like Kobe Bryant at a hotel in Colorado ... he's unstoppable."

Now, according to Washington, the WWE has taken further action after the joke, terminating his contract entirely.

Obviously, Washington is NOT happy -- taking to his Twitter moments ago with a barrage of angry messages ... like, "It was the #WWE that made me bold and now it has turned it's back on me."

"Just be normal shut up and be a yes man so you can collect your check and feel like your special. #SELLOUTS!!"

"I remember a time when the WWE didn't care about breaking the mold but now everyone is so afraid of their own shadow. #RemeberTheFans"

"Thank you WWE for creating me and then killing me because I only portrayed what I grew up watching... The #WWE!!"

A rep for the WWE tells TMZ ... "Unfortunately, Brian Jossie, playing the character of A.W. was terminated because he continued to exhibit poor judgment by making offensive and inappropriate comments on live television and on social media."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

scoopie

wwe is trying to clean up its' act now, after how many years? i heard and saw a lot worse when my sons used to watch it. this guy didn't deserve to get fired over that, no way.

Jon

I think AW should have been fined and or suspended since it was his first offense. I find it odd that the WWE fires him for making a "Kobe rape joke," but suspended Randy Orton for violating the WWE wellness policy numerous times. Considering all the stuff wrestlers have said on the mic in the past...the punishment doesn't justify the crime.

poplin

funny, on the same episode lawler makes an incredibly racist joke and wwe doesnt say a thing. he hast so much as goten a slap on the wrist. double standards like woah.

Tammy

I think whether you find this "joke" funny depends largely on whether you belief the woman was raped or had sex with Kobe and lied to get money. Now, whether or not you find it in bad taste is completely different matter.

Notorious

Did he Lie or something? He is telling the truth though... I always thought it was weird the guy still got endorsements. One guy really does rape somebody hes on the US Olympic team and has endorsement deals. Another guy makes a comment referencing incident gets fired. WTH! Only in America

Mrs. Damaskinos

I don't think he should've been fired . From what Ive been told Kobe and the chick were both unstoppable in that telly.

Mrs. Damaskinos

The facts of the case prove otherwise, Kobe didn't rape that chick. I remember seeing on court tv, (before they became trutv) when the alleged rape victim went to the hospital she had another man's sperm inside her and pubic hair from another man on her. So she had sex right after being "raped". I don't think she was raped, she was just mad that sex was all Kobe wanted from her.

Major

Did he not learn from the few UFC fighters using rape jokes that were fined and terminated?

Knight

A top star called someone the F word , and another one told fan to KILL HIM self. And they still have there jobs . Another start made a joke about Kobe as well.

mspritzee

WOW! KOBE joke? WHO CARES ABOUT KOBE THE SELL OUT! EVERYONE SHOULD BOYCOTT THE WWE! THAT WAS UNFAIR FOR THEM TO TERMINATE THIS GENTLEMAN! Kobe was accused of rape and odds are he was guilty but money talks and crapola walks!

erik

it was a funny joke. it's not like they can be sued for slander... he did anal rape that girl in colorado lol. just like he tried with an australian swimmer recently.

Bull

Wow. To the emotional douchebags who are crying about "Blah blah what if it was your daughter being raped?" Chill the hell out and fix your panties, AW merely cracked a joke about Kobe's screw up. LAUGH about it. HAHA! If you wanna get mad, get mad at Kobe for actually raping that woman. He is the bad guy here, not AW!

Vexor The Hamburgler

This guy's surprised he got fired? It's a no brainer..
a.) Kobe Bryant is a HUGE star with BIG $ and MEAN lawyers. b.) this "joke" wouldn't even have been funny 8 years ago when it was relevant.

TheAngryCommentor

They had to fire him RAW just did 1000 episodes and what he said was reckless he didn't have to go there and one would think he would practice his presentation before performing it LIVE with little kids and horny teenagers watching. It was a tasteless comment. I think he should have been suspended without pay for significant amount of time I thought termination was a bit harsh but hey that was WWE's decision its their business they can fire and hire whomever they want. He won't be missed!

Gina Waters

Gee thank you for setting African Americans back 100 years. I hated his shuck and jive a$$ anyway.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments