« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Chad Johnson

History of Domestic Violence

8/14/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0813_chad_johnson_tmzChad Johnson is no stranger to domestic violence -- TMZ has learned the former NFL star was secretly found guilty of battering a woman in 2000 ... 12 years before he allegedly struck again.

According to court records obtained by TMZ, Johnson was arrested for misdemeanor domestic battery in L.A. on February 7, 2000 ... just before he began playing football for Oregon State University.

Sources close to the case tell us the victim was his GF at the time ... and she told police the football star had slapped her in the face after he accused her of cheating on him.

According to court records, Johnson -- 22 years old at the time -- pled no contest ... and the court found him guilty of domestic battery.

Johnson was sentenced to 3 years probation and ordered to serve 45 days in L.A. County Jail. But Johnson struck a deal with the court which allowed him to avoid jail ... as long as he completed 30 days of graffiti removal work with CalTrans. Johnson was also required to complete a 12 month batterer's counseling program and ordered to stay 100 yards away from the victim.

But Johnson didn't complete his probation requirements in a timely manner ... according to court records, he blew off the hard labor AND the dom. violence program for years.

After a judge tacked on an additional 15 days of graffiti removal, Johnson finally completed his legal obligations in 2002 ... when he was a member of the Cincinnati Bengals.

Now, Johnson finds himself in a similar situation ... having been accused of battering a woman once again ... his wife Evelyn Lozada.

Johnson told police he did nothing wrong this time around. He's expected back in court soon to enter his plea.

We called Johnson's lawyer. He had no comment.

0813_chad_mug_sub

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Jaimecorbin4

I think that when pushed sometime people do things bad things but everyone makes mistakes. Chad loves Evelyn he obviously would never purposefully hurt her. Sometimes in the heat of the moment people make bad judgements and even black out. I guarantee if he could go back he would do something different. You can't tell me he thought I'm going to hit you and cut your forehead. IF he in fact grabbed her and head butted her. Ther is so many ways that this could have happened the worst being intentional. But if your going to intentionally hurt someone it's not going to be someone you love. I defiantly think he made a mistake but does the crime fit the punishment? Like it or not chad does a lot of good for his community he has been known to grant money to a fan every Wednesday tax right off or not. Good intentions or not $1000 goes to a family in need. I hope that he can get thru all of this but he will need all of our support. Losing everything in consequence to a horrid mistake I bet he would willing pay for what he has done not to look good but to make up for what he's done

Jaimecorbin4

Ashlee

However Evelyn has shown us multiple times on national television that she has violent tendencies. If she acts the way she does with cameras rolling imagine how she acts when the cameras are off. For some reason I don't think we have the whole story. And I feel bad for Chad cut from a team within 24 hours of being arrested, the team doesn't even know if the allegations are true.

cindy

To all those dumb B*s posting. " He has no history of domestic violence" I hope you can read and read well and dumb**ches swallow your words now.

Trina Anderson

I think he was honest right out the gait although she got a 3 inch cut i don't approve but i'm still with chaz cause we don't know all the facts and it could be like the other crap that's up i'm still hanging with you boy contact me any time i wont be negative Love ya!

kevin

EVEL IS A BULLY AND A LIER SHE JUST WANT MONEY.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6