Ron Palillo Dead at 63

'Welcome Back, Kotter' Star

Dies from Heart Attack

8/14/2012 9:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0814_ron_pallilio
Ron Palillo -- the actor who played Horshack on "Welcome Back, Kotter" -- died this morning at his home near Palm Beach, FL from an apparent heart attack ... this according to someone close to the actor.

We're told Palillo was found by his partner of many years Joseph Gramm around 4:00 AM. Gramm called an ambulance and Palillo was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

We're told the heart attack was very unexpected. Palillo was 63.

According to one of Palillo's colleagues at G-Star School of the Arts, Palillo had appeared to be in good health ... but was a heavy smoker. We're told he had been suffering from a bad cough and had even scheduled a doctor's appointment for today.

Palillo was known for calling out, "Ooh ooh ooh, Mr. Kotter" as one of the Sweathogs on the show ... which he appeared on with John Travolta from 1975 to 1979.

After Kotter, Palillo appeared in "Laverne & Shirley" and voiced a character on the Disney cartoon, "Darkwing Duck."

Palillo's "Kotter" co-star Robert Hegyes -- who played Epstein -- also passed away earlier this year after suffering a heart attack.

0814_ron_pallilio_subasset

0814_ron_palillo_footer

Jerry Horn

Ron, you made a birthday cake for me many years ago when I was with J.B. You were so nice. Glad Joe was there. You will be missed.

TJ

Um, heart attacks are never expected.

arnold

What most people don't realize is people who smoke take their lives into their own hands. More than likely he ate the wrong foods. You can't fool Mother Nature. I don't feel sorry for him one bit or anyone who smokes.

Beverly Ross

Handsome from beginning to start....rip I ♥ u...lasting forever...farewell.

Larry

Someone as insignificant as this dies and it is "news" Helen Gurly Brown dies and nothing is heard from this "news" agency...hmmm

bill

only the ocd ones.
after all.., if ya can't figure it out, it says a lot about you.
anyway..., sad to see the dude die.
seemed like a gentle soul.

Honeys Booboo

So Romney needs a new running mate now.

newlite2@aol.com

So sorry to hear this news.Another wonderful actor gone way too soon.
My sympathies to Rons family and friends.
By the way-
Several years ago when VH1 had some specials about the 70s I remember my brother said he saw Ron Pallillo who called out to him "hey there's Travolta" (as my brother bears some resemblance to John Travolta)

Pete

Definitly will be missed, but I don't remember himas much for the way he called out in class as his laugh.....that infectious inhaling laugh. Never been imitated, and probably never will.

Gail

Very sorry to hear he died. he was so funny on Kotter. Didn't know he was gay. Didn't he know that heavy smoking kills?

cathy

R.I.P.........Hope you had a wonderful life. You made a lot of laugh in this one.

christy

John Travolta is scare... loss his good friends from Welcome back, Kotter!

Therese

Rest in piece. We will miss you Horshack.

Scary

Please exuse Horshack for being late to class today.. As a matter of fact he wont be coming in....He went to hang out with Epstien. I am sad R I P you sweathogs!!! OHHH I can see his Orahhhhhhhh

Judy Dixon Gabaldon

That show was a lot of fun, and we all remember the annoying but lovable Horshak. RIP Ron Palillo. (P.S. You mentioned that another Kotter cast member, Robert Hegyes also passed away recently in his early 60's. Don't forget Davey Jones, who lived in Florida as well, at roughly the same age - of a heart attack. We're losing them way too young.)