Al Roker

Did You Just

Call Out Matt Lauer??

8/16/2012 7:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

081612_roker_today_v2Things just got awkward on live TV ... with Al Roker seemingly calling out Matt Lauer for railroading Ann Curry off of the "Today" show.

Here's what happened -- Al, Matt and Savannah Guthrie were hanging with some Olympic rowers who were talking about some of their post-race traditions ... which includes flinging one of their teammates into the water.

Matt joked... "The tradition here in NY is you throw her in the Hudson River."

That's when Roker quickly chimed in ... "Which is different than OUR tradition ... which is you throw one of us under the bus, but that’s another story."

Cue some awkward laughter from Matt and Savannah.

As we previously reported, Ann believes Matt trashed her behind the scenes of the show ... and pressured NBC to fire her ass because he couldn't stand working with her.   And, as we reported, part of Matt's deal in re-signing with Today was that Ann had to hit the road.

Sources tell us Ann was cool with Al ... and respected him ... and after the comment he made on the show, it seems the feeling is mutual.

jetty

Since Al is part of the liberal protected class, he is allowed to speak truth, and NBC won't be able to touch him. Oh, the irony.

Eastbay851

Matt lauer has never done much positive that i can see. Al is at least entertaining. If....if they sack lauer and they bring back one or two of the people they ve canned over the years, i ll let it be shown in my house. Until then... Anything but is on in the morning around here.

KG

F.... Matt!! he is a loser

Sickofstupidpeople

I hope NBC reads this. I refuse to watch your morning show until Matt is axed.

catlanta

catlanta

catlanta

THANKS AL!!! They need to fire Matt Lauer.. Al Roker seems like one of the coolest, nicest guys on the planet. I stopped watching as much too since they through Ann Curry off the show. Matt- grow up adult life isn't a high school click! The only reason I watch occasionally is because Al Roker is a genius, always has a smile on his face; not a hateful bone in his body.

Grace

OOOH! Al you made my day! good for you!
Matt Lauer needs to know that the crew supports Ann.
Matt needs to watch his back... Maybe NBC will bring back ANN! She was the only reason why I watched that show. Matt is so dull and conceded ... ugh... (I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't stand him!) Now I watch GMA!
BRING BACK ANN NBC!!!
(I can't wait for AL to insult Matt again hehehe)

notta

Very nice Al! You are the man for that.

Roberttaylordmsm

Get real. No Matt, no Rhode Island viewers, no Today show tomorrow.

Jay

Al Roker is THE MAN!

scoopie

And you know it's true, cause Ann's body language when she appeared at the Olympics with Lauer said "I don't want to be sitting here next to you". And he just goes through the motions - plastic.

scoopie

I remember about a year ago, local news anchors from here in Las Vegas went to the Today show to film a spot; Meredith and Al were very welcoming and interactive with Kim and Dana; forget Matt. Ducked out like "who are these people"?

lucille

You go Al. Hate Matt, never liked him, now I have more reason too watch GMA..I will not watch Today
Show until Matt is out.

kathleen

Shame on you Matt! You should be gone. What a way to represent a news anchor. I will not be a supporter of NBC now.