Al Roker

Did You Just

Call Out Matt Lauer??

8/16/2012 7:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

081612_roker_today_v2Things just got awkward on live TV ... with Al Roker seemingly calling out Matt Lauer for railroading Ann Curry off of the "Today" show.

Here's what happened -- Al, Matt and Savannah Guthrie were hanging with some Olympic rowers who were talking about some of their post-race traditions ... which includes flinging one of their teammates into the water.

Matt joked... "The tradition here in NY is you throw her in the Hudson River."

That's when Roker quickly chimed in ... "Which is different than OUR tradition ... which is you throw one of us under the bus, but that’s another story."

Cue some awkward laughter from Matt and Savannah.

As we previously reported, Ann believes Matt trashed her behind the scenes of the show ... and pressured NBC to fire her ass because he couldn't stand working with her.   And, as we reported, part of Matt's deal in re-signing with Today was that Ann had to hit the road.

Sources tell us Ann was cool with Al ... and respected him ... and after the comment he made on the show, it seems the feeling is mutual.

darisa

get rid of matt lauer. send him off to some remote part of the world and trust me, no one will give a s h i t where he's at. NBC - fire Lauer and maybe you'll get some of the viewers back.

deborah mcdermott

kudos to AL ROKER, you tell that snob matt laurer how it is, good for you. AL ROKER is the sweetest and most kind man to his fans, as a fan of him myself i will always respect him. AL ROKER can do no wrong in my book, love ya AL

JaylaM

YAAAAYYYYY! Al Roker, you are my hero. Matt LAUER IS A SELF-ADORING self-loving 14 karat gold douche and I haven't watched "his" show since he stabbed Ann Curry in the back - and I am done with that network until Lauer is gone.

K

Ha! I hate Matt Lauer

Phatrick

Nice snap Roker. Used to like Matt, but karma is a biatch

Marilyn

Matt Lauer is a pice of SH--! He NEEDS to go and your ratings would be higher. NOBODY LIKES HIM!

Barb

Al will probably be reprimanded for his comment by the network honchos, but I thank Al for saying what everyone knows is true.

patty

I loved the way that ugly ass POS Lauer & no lip Savannah said "Mr. Roker" as if they were going to reprimand him. If they do anything to Al, they will lose even more viewers!!! TODAY Show SUCKS!!!!

Level34

You go Mr.POTATO HEAD!!!

Taazz69

WTG AL

Diana

Good one Roker !! Matt Lauer is an % *# *&%#

Joe Smith

Thank you Mr. Roker! You have the conscience and the guts to back it up, & you're not ruled by your wallet. Ann Curry brought to the Today Show compassion, & sensitivity. Mr. Lauer was afraid of her because he is the exact opposite, cold & cynical. Love rules!

Julie2

These comments are GREAT! I'm laughing SO hard! NBC sucks for it's biased reporting and Matt's ego is unbearable. I too switched to GMA. I LOVED Ann and miss her. I wish they'd bring her back, lose Matt, put Savannah back where she was, keep Awesome Al and get a good male cohost for Ann. Maybe Al would be willing to give up weather and host with her?!

Lovingit

NBC: your and TODAY's ratings aren't in the PIT because of Anne Curry OR Al Roker.
Your ratings are in the garbage pit BECAUSE WE DESPISE Pretentious Mr. Thinks He is All That Matt Lauer.
After what he did to Anne Curry, I find myself gagging any time I see him.
WISE UP NBC - ditch Matt Lauer and your ratings will improve. GET A CLUE.

Lovingit

and he better leave Al Roker alone. If you fire him for speaking up for Annie, I will never buy your sponsor's products and I will tell your sponsor's why.
GET RID OF LAUER!