Rihanna

Cries Over Chris Brown

'He Needed Help'

8/16/2012 7:12 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0816_rihanna_own_01
With tears pouring down her face, an emotional Rihanna opened up to Oprah about Chris Brown ... describing how she "lost her best friend" after he attacked her back in 2009.

During the interview, set to air Sunday night on OWN, Rihanna described her emotions following the beating.

"It was a weird, confusing space to be in ... because as angry as I was, as angry and hurt and betrayed, I just felt like he made that mistake because he needed help ... and who's going to help him?"

Rihanna continued, "Nobody's going to say he needs help. Everybody's going to say he's a monster without looking at the source ... and I was more concerned about him."

"I lost my best friend ... everything I knew switched ... switched in a night and I couldn't control that."

Brown ultimately pled guilty to felony assault for the 2009 beating and was sentenced to 5 years probation and was ordered to stay away from the singer. The restraining order has since been lifted.

just sayin

a lot of the comments here are cruel. he HAD been her best friend for years. you don't know what it feels like when the one you love turns on you. It is hard to process... prob more so with people looking at you. I think a lot of the things people resent about rihanna happened as a way of her putting up a shell based on these occurances. It's hard to stop loving your best friend in a day, and her feelings are normal. You guys are cruel.

devilgirl

Is this the best you people at TMZ can come up with? Some cheesy Oprah interview excerpt with Riri talking about something that happened 3 yrs ago? Looks like Lohan needs to drive somewhere so we can get a new crash story.

pat

I think Chad Johnson's wife is one of the rare ones that understands.

A guy beats you, you get the hell out of Dodge, pronto.

That's it and that's all.

This Rhiana chick probably gave him all that diva attitude and really pressed his buttons to the point he snapped. Don't get me wrong now! This guy is nothing but a punk ass POS that I would beat in a second.

But her poop also stinks in this. This is the reason why she'll get beat again if she ever goes back to him.

She needs to know the first time is hard to do. But the second time is actually quite easy.

mar1ey

It is clear this woman has never dealt with her own abuse issues. Until she does, she will always be a reliving the past but thinking she is in control of the abuse, calling it "s & m". It is sad, for some people just can't handle the truth.

roll3567

To quote master thespian..."acting"!

jmk

Did she tell that the reason he was so angry is because she passed him 2 stds? Never an excuse for physical abuse, but just saying, she a big ho....

miu

well, i could be wrong but if he needs help(i really think he does).. he can get some, he's old enough! people say he's a monster because he acts like one! beating the crap out of her is of course a sign of weakness but it's not the media that can help him, it's not her, it's only him. as long as he wants to be that angy idiot that he is.. he will be and nobody can change that!

popo

if she gave me thoses stds i would beat her up too

Rhubino

I didn't see Battleship because she was in it, especially because she was playing the role of a petty officer - my father's rank when he was serving. And she looked silly in a navy cap. It turns out the movie was a dud anyway. Thanks Rihanna for saving me $10.

Amber

I'm sure it was a horrible experience, but this girl is just Trash, plain and simple!

hohoh

The difference is women can assault men and our feminist society is okay with that. But if a man defends himself, he's the badguy. We all know Rihanna started the fight yet we blame Chris. This is a message to all you ****s who claim to care about equality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5OdQGbVNa4

Celebrities Suck

Why is she still crying? It's obvious that she still loves him.

GG

Classic denial. Classic girl with bad boy issues. She wants to "fix" him.

Rhonda

She was worried about who was going to help him, when she should have been worried about why he had never asked for help with his anger issues.

Jenn

She's not the one to help him, she needs to help herself first. Getting physically abused by your loved one requires time to cope and get stable again. She's been crazy ever since that beating and been sleeping with anything and anyone under the sun.