Joey Kovar

'Real World' Star DEAD

Family Suspects Drugs

8/17/2012 10:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0817_joey_kovar_012
Joey Kovar -- the troubled "Real World" star who appeared on "Celebrity Rehab" -- was found dead at a friend's home near Chicago this morning ... and family members believe drugs are to blame ... TMZ has learned.

Kovar was 29 years old.

Kovar's rep tells TMZ ... Joey was discovered by a female friend early this morning who noticed blood coming out of Joey's ears and nose.

The woman called 911 ... and authorities rushed to the scene where he was pronounced dead.

0817_joel_kovar_cops_scene_tmz
Kovar had famously battled drug issues -- and sought help for cocaine and ecstasy during his stint on "Celeb Rehab."

While on "Real World: Hollywood," Kovar entered rehab halfway through the season for alcohol and drugs, admitting he'd struggled with substance abuse for years. It was a pretty powerful moment on the show.

0817_heading_to_rehab_launch

Phreaky

The fact the Real World producers chose him to be on the show always bothered me, because there is no way you could be around this guy and *not* know he was on something. I refuse to believe he showed up to all his auditions sober. I think he showed up all jacked up on something and the producers liked him anyway and picked him to "see what happens". Thats kinda messed up to me.
RIP dude.

Sersi

Wow only 29 years of age, so sad. RIP

buckwheat

Has anyone ever OD on weed?
Legalize it already

sweetthing

I cant believe some of these comment on here. This has to be one of the worst things a person could here. Sir I hate to inform you but your son has passed away. I think blaming anyone is ignorance. Its it has to stop w/ the person there selves. People dont start drugs and you want have to stop!! <3 and prayers to the family.

kim

I'm really sad to see this :o( During his RW season, he seemed like he really wanted to change and really wanted help. Rip Joey :o(

Alisha

That's heart wrenching. I can't imagine how his family must feel knowing there was nothing they could do and only a matter of time before he died.

Will

I saw his season. He had a very rough upbringing, the only positive influences in his life were his grandparents. My thought are with them.

fyi

Barely knew who this guy was. And he has a "rep"? Sad either way.

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Listen up, anyone who signs on to be on a reality show isn't playing with a full deck in the first place. But look on the bright side - Dr Drew's rehab record still stands!

Honeys Booboo

It sounds like his head exploded.

beef

Thats what you get for combing the hair on the side of your head forward. Douchebag

Jleigh

His death was 100% preventable. If you're experiencing drug or alcohol addiction, GET HELP. http://bit.ly/MCBekY

Bubbles The Chimp

Good to see the good Dr. Drew saved another life.

Amber

That is so sad. My brother is 31 and has been a drug addict for over 10 years. It's terrible knowing that the next call might be the one saying that he is gone.

LOL

WOOOOOOOO! not expecting this when reading - heartbreaking for the families- so many out there in similar state- god speed!