Director Tony Scott

Commits Suicide

Jumps Off L.A. Bridge

8/19/2012 8:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

celeb_tony_scott_getty
Famed director Tony Scott -- who directed "Top Gun" among many other major films -- jumped to his death today off an L.A. bridge ... this according to the L.A. County Coroner.

According to the Coroner, 68-year-old Scott -- Ridley Scott's brother -- jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island around 12:30pm.

U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn said a suicide note was found in Scott's Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Scott directed such films as "Top Gun," "Beverly Hills Cop II," "Enemy of the State," and "The Taking of Pelham 123."

Authorities used sonar equipment to find Scott's body in the port's murky waters. His body was recovered at approximately 4:30pm ... four hours after he jumped.

His body has since been turned over to coroner officials.

0820_tony_scott_remembering_footer_v2

Rose

Why he did that ? Is so sad :((

Aussie

Well, get on to it TMZ, what was in the note ? What drove a talented director to launch himself off a bridge ? There's more to this story .....

Observer

Wow, thats shocking. Tony Scott, famed director, most any possible resource for anything available to him, suicide?
I'm sorry he felt so bad.

devilgirl

Very shocking and sad.

John

Its a good thing his pain is now over but now the family's is just starting..

There is always help if you reach out for it. every suicide

I ever worked on turned out being the same in the end.. The family sits around and blames each out or themselves, They have to keep on living day to day and deal with all the stress etc.

Don't take the easy way out so your family has to deal with your burden you dumped on them..

barbiebaby690

so sad he was my favourite director im so so upset

Kevin

This is sad.

vexer6

Man this sucks! I loved his movies, especially Domino. Wonder why he jumped? Maybe he had cancer or something like that?

CrankyMaddog

Doesn't matter how happy you think someone might be, you really never truly know what is going on inside someone elses head ever. So sad......I hope that he has found the peace he so sought. RIP Mr. Scott

Nicole C.

Eeire..."U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn said a suicide note was found in Scott's Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge." My great-granddad died the same way at Falls River Bridge in Exeter, PA in 1964--and he had a suicide note in his car, too; and it was parked right in the middle of Falls River Bridge. I only wish that Tony Scott knew Great-Granddad's or a similar story before he decided to jump--Great-Granddad's did not end well; and if nothing else, I at least hope that Tony Scott was saved from meeting the fate that Great-Granddad met.

Fidel Sarcastro

He lost that loving felling, oh that loving feeling, he lost that loving feeling now he's gone, gone, gone whoa.

Shesinvincible

There are so many unanswered questions. What made him take his own life? Divorce? Terminal illness? Depression? What did his suicide note say? Why is death the only answer for him? :(

Tr0LL666

It is what its...

w

That pic that TMZ is using makes me feel he was a kind man, just by his eyes, you can tell that he was a nice person, poor man, I truly hope and pray that he is at peace and is in God's loving arms, R.I.P. Tony Scott, thank you for the great movies. :-(

TJ

So sorry to hear this news. He was such a great director. On IMDB, I see he had 10 projects in production. Whatever he was going through was probably not helped by that workload. Life is sweet---until it's not. With that in mind, I am going to take this day to enjoy mine and smell the roses. Thanks Tony, your movies helped to make my life a little sweeter. You will be missed.