'Dark Knight Rises'

Victim's Family Hires

Casey Anthony Lawyer

8/20/2012 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0806_jose-baez_rabecca_wingo_gettyThe man who led Casey Anthony's defense team to victory in her murder case has officially been tapped to represent the mother of one of the "Dark Knight" massacre victims ... TMZ has learned.

Attorney Jose Baez is now representing Shirley Wygal -- whose 32-year-old daughter Rebecca Wingo (above, right) was shot and killed by James Holmes inside the Century 16 Theater in Aurora, CO.

As we previously reported ... Shirley believes the theater is partially to blame for the tragedy claiming the emergency exit doors should have been alarmed, or there should have been security guards posted next to them.

Wygal tells TMZ, "When police came that night with official word, Rebecca's baby asked, 'How did he get in?' Dissatisfied with the answer, she asked again. At just 5 years old, she wants to know how it could happen and so do I. If any entity had an obligation to protect the innocent and did not, then every survivor and loved one left behind must hold them accountable. The first step is a timely and thorough investigation."

She continues, "I've engaged a firm large enough to help us all. I am confident in their expertise and appreciate their making this a priority. Rebecca would love these attorneys. As a mom, she'd want her girls to have the truth. As a daughter, she'd insist I find that truth for them."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

john

wow already trying to cash in, she is trash for doing it so early, barely a month since it happened.

caringhumanbeing

Wow! If this had been my child I wouldn't be suing people who truly did nothing wrong so I could make a quick buck! I would be lobbying to make theaters safer. Making it mandatory to have alarms installed etc. I would make my child's life mean something. I would not be in it for a quick payout. Sick!

skbsoccermom

I don't understand why anyone would hire him. The public calls him 'bozo' for a reason. And now he is trying to attach himself to high profile cases for fame and money. He tried to get in on the Zimmerman case too. Ever heard the term 'money-grubbing fame whore?'. His ego is much bigger than his skills.

seagullspyrobot

metal detectors at every movie theater mall store public place. won't happen now though because businesses count dollers more valuable than human lives. metal detectors are expensive. curious to see how many mass shootings and deaths will happen before people demand threw legislature to have protection of the public metal detectors everywhere not just airports. what does the death count have to be. no one cares unless it happens to them or someone they know. so not guessing that will happen any time ever.

Greg

Vote Mitt Romney and he won't take away your 2nd Amendment Rights and allow you to protect yourself. Buy a firearm and get your CCW permit and learn how to protect yourselves. One person armed in the theater could have stopped all of the unnecessary murders. Its just sick people like this mom and Thugvon martin's family are trying to profit

Tracey

Wait.... I thought we were against a police like state?

Ellen

Really, after the Caylee Anthony comment that women calls Katherine Heigl's child a rescue? I understand that part of the appeal of your show is the off the cuff comments, but that woman need a filter.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6