Phyllis Diller

Dead at 95

8/20/2012 12:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0820_phyllis_diller_article_tmz_5
Comedian Phyllis Diller -- who paved the way for today's female comics -- died this morning, TMZ has learned.

Sources close to Diller tell us the comedian died in her sleep at her L.A. home, surrounded by family. She was 95.

We're told Diller had recently fallen, hurting her wrist and hip -- but her rep says the injury had nothing to do with her death.

Diller suffered a heart attack in 1999 and was later fitted with a pacemaker.

Phyllis began her career all the way back in 1952 -- and rose to fame with her TV specials alongside Bob Hope in the 1960s.

0820_phyllis_diller_footerLater that decade, Phyllis starred in her own show called "The Phyllis Diller Show" ... as well as a variety show called "The Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show." She was also a regular on "Laugh In."

She also posed for Playboy -- but the pics were never published.

Diller remained spunky to the very end, famously appearing in the 2005 movie "The Aristocrats," telling an x-rated joke ... better than comics half her age.

Joan Rivers recently appeared on "Watch What Happens Live" and said, Diller "broke the way for every woman comedian.”

Last time we shot Diller was in 2011, and she was still sharp as a tack -- cracking jokes and reminiscing about her "protegee" Joan Rivers. She even named her favorite comedian of all time.

082012_diller_launch

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

namers

Oh my god, how much did I (and the world) love her?! She's the queen of comedy and became a comic late in life after having 5 children. R.I.P. Fang will miss you.

anon.

RIP

magica

An icon! The world will miss her. RIP

Arnie

I still would have tapped that. RIP sweet, funny lady.

Jay

What a great, funny lady she was. RIP She had so many great moments in her long career. Her and Bob Hope were amazing....thay don't make them like her any more.

KnuckleDragger

R.I.P., Phyllis. We loved ya'!

Annie

RIP Phyllis

kali

jacksonorleans

RIP Ms Diller...and go to Fang in the sky. You made me laugh my whole life...

Rhubino

Only person I ever saw that could pull off using a cigarette holder.

Majestik

Amazing Lady and a TRUE entertainer. The heavens will be filled with laughter. R.I.P Ms. Diller and thank you for all the years you gave us pleasure.

Bruno

RIP Ms. Diller. You were one funny lady.

kim

LOVE YOU, phyllis! RIP

Bridget

She was sooo funny. You will be missed Phyllis. RIP

TheTruth

R.I.P. sweet lady. The world just got a little sadder.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments