« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

MIchael Strahan

To Join "Live"

With Kelly Ripa

8/21/2012 1:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0821_strahan_artMichael Strahan was picked to partner with Kelly Ripa on her morning syndicated show ... this according to staffers at ABC in New York City.

Several staffers told TMZ ... the talk in the building is that Strahan -- who played in the NFL and won a Super Bowl ring -- will be announced as the co-host.

Strahan's rep was seen outside the building on 67th and Columbus a short time ago grinning from ear to ear.

Strahan tried out for the gig in June and apparently impressed the suits.

BTW ... Strahan is 6'5" ... Kelly is 5'3".  Dancing should be fun.

We got Strahan out a few weeks ago, joking about Tim Tebow getting laid -- he's a pretty funny guy ... so we gotta ask ...

082112_strahan_launch

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Cheryl

He may be a great guy. But I don't like him on the show with Kelly. Won't watch it

Verna

Have to say I am shocked! Never really followed him, never thought of him as being funny the few times I have seen him. They just dont seem like a good fit. Anyway I wish him and the show the best. I am happy for anyone that gets employment in this day and time. Hope the show dont go off the air!

KnuckleDragger

FINALLY! It's been almost year of "co-hosts". So freakin' tired of that. I like Strahan. He's witty, straightforward, and he and Kelly get along well. Although the format of the show still sucks a dick (spank you very much, Gelman)...I wish them luck, they're gonna need it.

No comment

I love Strahan on the FOX NFL show. I was skeptical when he joined the crew then, but he is fast and witty. I think this is a great move. I don't watch the show because of Kelly's bobblehead, but I might tune in now.

lisa

I knew it.Congrats mike...

Lulubelle

No, you don't "gotta ask" Harvey. Why even compare Regis and Michael because they each have their own different personality? Such a dumb question. I'm happy for Michael and he would fit in perfectly on that show.

JJ

Yeah! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Michael as Kelly's host. Was hoping for Anderson Cooper or Neil Patrick Harris, but that's not a reality! So happy for the choice!

icantbelieveitsnotbutter

the show will suck even worse now

buckwheat

The guy peeped on his sister in law with a hidden camera
The guy is a s***bag

forestlover

Very disappointing! Nice enough guy but Strahan needs to stick to NFL. Seth Meyers or Jerry O'Connell have sooo much more personality, likeability and knowledge of the enterainment industry. I won't be watching anymore.

Wocka

Are you kidding? Regis was the worst kiss ass of all time. I remember him as Joey Bishop's sidekick and he stunk!! Anyone would be better!!

nof

Finally someone who can beat Gelman up.

myopinion

I didn't know that Nicole Murphy was dating him. Good scope.

flipflops

For most anyone who watched the parade of co-hosts, I don't think this decision comes as a real surprise. Michael Strahan was (and is) funny and likable, and the chemistry between him and Kelly was unmistakable. Jerry O'Connell was awkward and shrill; Nick Lachey was pleasant but out of his depth; Seth Meyers had his moments but there was absolutely no chemistry. Only Josh Groban came close to Strahan.

Strahan does know how to tell a story, and isn't afraid to make fun of himself or call Kelly on her occasionally strident B.S. No, Strahan isn't an icon like Regis, but nobody is, and Strahan isn't competing with him anyway. Strahan is intended to bring in a younger, hipper, and more diverse demographic. I think he'll do well, but only time will tell.

CelebJustice

Love Michael Strahan! No one can replace Regis, but I love this match up.