'American Idol'

Judges Not a Done Deal

And Mariah is PISSED

8/21/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0820_nicki_minaj_mariah_carey_american_idol_articleNicki Minaj may well become a judge on "American Idol," but it will be at the expense of Mariah Carey, who we're told hung up the phone when she was told Nicki was the top candidate.

Sources connected with "Idol" tell TMZ ... Mariah was led to believe she would be the only woman on the judge's panel. Choosing Nicki would not only crush that expectation, it would add insult to injury because Nicki (29) is a lot younger than Mariah (42).

As for the composition of the judge's panel, we're told by no means is it a done deal. There are 2 scenarios being played out. First, it's unclear if Randy Jackson will come back as a judge or a mentor. If he leaves the judge's panel, there will be another spot to fill.

The second scenario ... we're told some of the honchos believe it's a mistake to have 2 women and a man on the panel, and a 4th male judge would be necessary.

As for who's still in the running, we're told Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Enrique Iglesias are leading the pack.

And there's one other thing ... Sources connected with the show say they're worried ... if the judges end up being Mariah, Nicki and Randy ... middle America might not welcome the blackout.

Barbara

Please not nicki minaj. she is not qualified to be a judge o american idol. she is all flash and trash. she should not be judging anyone. If i was Mariah Carey, i would be pissed too. She may be a diva but she has more talent in her little finger than nicki minaj has in her whole body. I will never watch again and I'm sure I'm not the only one

Gordon Peterson

I am a white male and I did not evem think about the "Blackout" issue until the article (media) mentioned it. Grow up! Most people these days are color blind and the media focuses on the 10% racists, not real Americans!

SaturnGal

I'm a diehard American Idol fan and have watched and followed the show since the beginning. I will continue to watch if Mariah Carey is a judge. She is a talented singer and knows the biz, therefore should be able to give informed advice. If Minaj is chosen as a judge, I will no longer be watching. It will tell me that Idol is going for the shock value of the judges, rather than the talent to get people to watch. Minaj has no talent and should not be giving advice or her uninformed opinion to others.
Time to make the right decision Idol.

SaturnGal

Time to make the right decision Idol.

stephen mumbles

What's Nikki going to judge? How well everyone can growl? And judge the women on how well they can shift to singing in deep man voices in the middle of their songs? (assuming you call that singing).

Deanna

i say forget them both and get Gwen Stefani =D
i wouldnt mind mariah but if they sign nikki im not watching anymore

Christian

Good thing everyone stopped watching American Idol seasons ago...

windgirl

my dream judges for this situation would be
Maria Enrique Nick Jonas

Mike44090

Why don't they just put all of those who want to be judges up on stage and let the people vote on who they want, just like the contestants. Then they can base their pay them based on the number of votes they get.

SoundlyAwake

I'm by no means a fan of American Idol but it would be somethin' to see Paul McCartney Cher and Busta Rhymes judge the show.

Jackie

Holy cow Mariah, insecure much?

Cheri

Enrique Iglesias and Keith Urban would be great. Kany would be awesome as well. But, Nicki Minaj would take the show downhill quickly. Nicki hasn't paid enough dues to be a credible judge. She's interesting to talk about, fun or painful to listen to depending on what she's performing but as a judge... the show would jump the shark. With the struggling it's doing now (especially on the heels of no-talent JLo) they can't afford Minaj. PASS!

Margie

I have followed American Idol for years - I will not watch if Nicki Minaj is a judge. Mariah Carey is too fabulous to share the spotlight with the likes of Minaj. Minaj is an inferior, untalented trouble maker. I would never value anything she thinks she knows about music.

LR

Ideal panel would be Mariah carey
Adam Lambert
Keith Urban
Kanye West (maybe)

Lambert has the most talent and the most experience with the show.

lynn

I would love to have Mariah, Randy and Usher! come on Idol...Usher has been on the scene since...what...12? (before U Make Me Wanna), he has the hits, the looks, the personality, the vocals, the dance, he has it ALL! He is what a true American Idol is...are you listening Idol? GET USHER