'American Idol'

Judges Not a Done Deal

And Mariah is PISSED

8/21/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0820_nicki_minaj_mariah_carey_american_idol_articleNicki Minaj may well become a judge on "American Idol," but it will be at the expense of Mariah Carey, who we're told hung up the phone when she was told Nicki was the top candidate.

Sources connected with "Idol" tell TMZ ... Mariah was led to believe she would be the only woman on the judge's panel. Choosing Nicki would not only crush that expectation, it would add insult to injury because Nicki (29) is a lot younger than Mariah (42).

As for the composition of the judge's panel, we're told by no means is it a done deal. There are 2 scenarios being played out. First, it's unclear if Randy Jackson will come back as a judge or a mentor. If he leaves the judge's panel, there will be another spot to fill.

The second scenario ... we're told some of the honchos believe it's a mistake to have 2 women and a man on the panel, and a 4th male judge would be necessary.

As for who's still in the running, we're told Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Enrique Iglesias are leading the pack.

And there's one other thing ... Sources connected with the show say they're worried ... if the judges end up being Mariah, Nicki and Randy ... middle America might not welcome the blackout.

Big D

Time to put this show out to pasture

Joe

Dear American Idol.

First was Steven and his pedophile comments. Then came JLo and her whining. Then came Mariah, which I could deal with as she has been in the industry for some time. But then came reports you wanted Khloe Kardashian as a host. now its Hikki Minaj and that does it.

If you get Nikki, and worse, even if you didn't and got King Kong (any combo of the both) then you will doom AI viewing in our house. No tryouts.. no auditions, nothing. There will be an AI blackout.

True, 1 house isn't much, but I'm sure the feeling isn't alone.

Goodluck.

tenley

Nicki Minaj has got to be the least appealing person ever.

Elaine

I have watched AI for as long as it has been on. Unfortunately, I think I am done. Randy has always gotten on my nerves a bit. I wasn't thrilled with Mariah being picked. Nicki Minaj will seal the deal. I will continue to watch if Brad Paisley or Kieth Urban are chosen. At least they are artists who write a majority of their own music, know how to play an instrument and are relevant to current music. For me it has nothing to do with race. It has more to do with the level of annoyance I can withstand!

king Leonidas

Kayne, Dolly Parton, Santana

#United Colors of Benetton

Niki M's voice is annoying.

Chas

Minaj is a joke. Doesn't matter though, I swore off of Idol as soon as they announced Mariah was going to be a judge. That woman is insufferable. Boy, are they ever going down the wrong path.

Chas

Minaj is a joke. It doesn't matter to me though, I gave up on Idol after they announced that Mariah was going to be a judge. That woman is insufferable.

O_o

k - closing sentence, bullsh!t and unnecessary. the article is full of fluff and speculation. ...and i had all this stuff prepared when i realized i just dont care about this at all. just like star search...AI is already a dino.

bozzman

better get shania - all these people suck

jetfanglo

"blackout" ?....c'mon now......with her it would be a minaj a trois ;)

paigehop

You have go to be kidding!! There is ZERO COMPETITION here. Mariah Carey IS mega talent. That whore, Nicki, is just...a whore. If she's selected, I WILL NOT WATCH A.I. Period.

bozzman

the blackout comment - does tmz think they're not racist so they're allowed to say this? if fox news used that term it would be national news, with tmz leading the attack.

abbnzoe

Mariah is a diva, Randy (who is Mariah's manager?) is a joke, and Nicki is a flash in the pan. What happened to getting judges who know what they are talking about? Bring the judges from the now cancelled, Sing Off (Ben Folds, Sara Barellis, and Shawn Stockman) and call it great! OR, people that are legends - Barry Manillow, James Taylor, Bette Midler, Elton John, Paul McCartney, etc., etc., etc. AI needs to stop catering to the junior high kids and realize that some adults enjoy watching the show, too.

JJ

Wow. I wouldn't watch if that were the judges panel. Not because of the "blackout" but because I find Niki M. talentless and vulgar. What does she have to add to helping these kids?

LOLOL

I never step foot in those fly over states..lol For the most part middle america is gross...lololololol