Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

Toronto33

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Minaj and West? What in the hell are the Executive Producers thinking? I guess they want this to be their final season! I am so upset right now.....no more American Idol and I've been a fan from the Kelly Clarkson days......

racegirlpam

I've seen every American Idol show through the years. If Nicki Minaj and/or Kanye West become judges, then unfortunately I've already seen my LAST American Idol show.

H Calahan

NO KANYE PLEASE, IT WOULD ONLY BE ANOTHER PLATFORM FOR KIM. KIM IS NPD (narcissistic personality disorder). After what he did to Taylor Swift he is not worthy of being a judge.

Joao

It's obvious that American Idol is just trying to appease the lowest common denominator 10-20yo demographics. It's not a real talent show, it's just a show with nothing to nominal

Brien

If they can't get any legitimate musicians on the show they should just cancel it.

dierdre

Seriously, if Kayne West is a judge on A.I. i for one will NEVER watch this show again, as i'm sure lots of people won't either. Just the idea that he's old fat asses boyfriend is such a total turn-off. Who in their right mind would even consider watching this piece of crap. He's soooo rude and obnoxious too. ewwwww

LIN

Great..now he can tell all the contestants how much better Beyonce is..LOL seriously..does anyone really care about this???

tech

Well I just turned the chandal I know something better will be on TV. It would be a cold day in HELL before I would watch Kanye and Nicki. I use to have a dog that was named Nicki. Well anyway the show is gone for good. The people in charge must be up there doing drugs. If they are just trying to get people to talk about the show all they are really doing is showing how messed up the show really is. SAD day we lost what use to be a good show.

karlew

West probably thinks with a name like American Idol that the show must be about him. Once the conceited douch realizes it's not, he'll lose interest.

phyl

My household will not be watching if Kenye is a judge!!!!!

Riiiiiight

To the few people out there who are still watching this show, PLEASE STOP!

A1Commenter

And I am sure that her momager would have the whore (Kim K) at every show fawning over him. His epic ego should be put out to pasture with him. AI should keep Randy WAY before hiring this dope. It will become the "whoo has the fattest ass" show. Minaj or Kanye's concubine.

sotiredofthis

OH. HELL. NOOOOOOOOO.

Whassup012

American Idol is now officially in the toilet. Mariah should be pissed. She's been had!

Ben

Once that Race Hater,Media Whore is chosen to be on it will be the LAST time i will ever watch it that's for sure.