Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

natasha

that would be hilarious

www.facebook.com/Maliekify

seems like this is where the bucks are nowadays, it's pretty sad times for music

Buckaroobonzai

this decision would end Idol within a year. I will ban idol from my house completely.

Pimpcessa

Well I guess we can assume, if these folks are judges, the next American Idol will be African American. Don't know about Mariah, but Kanye is definitely a racist. And the reason I believe that is because a real racist is always quick to accuse others of racism.

YdoIreadthisstuff

I'm glad I never watch this show. I saw about 5 minutes of AI a few years ago and that was enough for me forever!

Edam

Flat out ridiculous!

Jay

I usually watch idol every season but when I found out MC was going to be a judge I made a decision to tune out unless they got a good judge for Tylers place. If Kayne gets it then put a fork in it im done. Awful choices, Kayne and MC's arrogence and ego is a tad too much for me.

Pimpcessa

The only things Minaj can teach someone is how to use auto-tune and look like a plastic idiot!

Jackie

I think they should get one of those country guys...Idol seems to have at least one country artist competing every year...and Mariah is pop/r&b so they need to go with a country artist, a rock artist or a folk singer or something.....and BTW NOOOOO to Nicki Minaj and Kanye....BARF

CT

he's a douche bag who cares what he thinks, plus he has that nasty whore for a pet.

TheEric

enrique can't sing...kanye can't sing...nicki can't sing...and, while mariah can sing, the fact that she's turned herself into this untouchable diva is unforgivable...so there we have it...three people who can't sing and one person who as the likability of Auschwitz...i'm glad i quit watching idol 7 years ago

LuisMiFan

See, I told you all. The world IS going to hell in a handbag. Next thing you know, Kim K will be on there too. And cats and dogs will be sleeping together....tick, tick, tick.

tamara

Kanye doesn't have a face for tv. yikes!

LCS27

Is there anyone left who aren't negotiating to be a judge on this show? they're negotiating even with me, and I'm not an artist/producer/famous or anything

Theshiz

Hire him and lose this viewer. He is just a ghetto loser