Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

Pittsburgh Storm

I will never watch that show again...ever... Wrong move Idol.

janja

when they hired j lo and the other no name rocker I new and wrote that it wouldn't work, but this is the worst ever idea. Just pull the plug and get it over with these shows are so bad anyway just give up.

Faye

Nicki, Kanye and Mariah. Oh good Lord. So glad I quit watching this show a couple years ago. What a mess. There is nothing that could make me want to watch Kanye.

Mr. Grimm

Kanye was born to be an American Idol judge. He can just step in and say "yo gurl holla I aint mean 2 interupt dawg but Beyonce had dey best song of dey night playaz"

AlwaysOnTimeB

WOW!! All hell has broken loose!! Kanye and Nicki are not singers, they are rappers. So how does a rapper judge a singer? Especially when they do attempt to sing, they use autotune... SMH

Em

Remember when this show used to be about the talent????

whatevs

ugh. The sooner this show is CANCELLED the better. If that tool gets signed, expect the ratings to be in the cr*pper from the get-go.

kimkardashianstalkingass

I say they should get Jim Nabors aka Gomer Pyle to be a judge --- I can see it now, when a good singer hits all the right notes, Jim would shout out "Goooooolllllyyyy!"

xiam007

Kanye West is a gay fish

JZ

AI-Can you please hire a judge who is quailified to give their insight on music and singing not a fame whore who doesn't even know how to play an instrument or writes their own music and doesn't take someone elses lyrics to call their own. I will not watch at all if Kanye is a judge or even affiliated with the show.

Deelight

I wont watch it if he gets on....

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE

This ******* will be the final nail in idol.

ummm?!

The ratings have slowly been declining for a while, Put this egotistical b!tch on there and he will destroy any chance of Idol surviving.

Bob

IF KANYE D'BAG SHOWS UP ON AI I WILL NEVER WATCH THAT SHOW AGAIN. Not that I ever watched that crappy waste of time to begin with - but just the same - IF KANYE D'BAG SHOWS UP ON AI I WILL NEVER WATCH THAT SHOW AGAIN.

Joey

I WAS RELUCTANTABOUT WATCHING A I WITH PARIAH. REALLY WASN'T INTERESTED IN IT ANY MORE WITH MINAJ AND IF THEY GET MR BLACK KARDASHIAN I AM DONE.
I HAVE NEVER MISSED A SEASON BUT NOT IF IT IS GOING TO BE A PANEL OF TALENTLESS LOSERS AND A RACIST BLACK MAN WHO HATES WHITE PEOPLE.
AMERICAN IDOL YOU ARE SOOO DONE