Tom Cruise

Divorce Settlement

I Got Out Cheap!

8/24/2012 8:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0823_katie_holmes_tom_cruise_tmz_ipad
Katie Holmes
walked away with nothing other than rather modest child support in her divorce from Tom Cruise ... and we at TMZ have the breakdown.

Sources familiar with documents filed with the court tell TMZ ... Katie got no lump sum payout, which is consistent with the prenup which essentially shuts her out of Tom's $250 million fortune.

As for spousal support ... Katie got zip.

Katie will get money for child support, but it's way less than a judge could have ordered. According to the settlement, Tom must pay Katie $400,000 a year in child support. That comes to $33,333.33 a month. The money will be paid by electronic transfer.

Tom must pay Suri's support for the next 12 years -- until she turns 18. All tolled, that comes to $4.8 million.

Tom must also pay Suri's expenses, including medical, dental, insurance, education, college and extracurricular costs.

And ... both Tom and Katie agree that Suri will NOT attend a "residential school" from now through her high school years. Translation -- she can't be shipped off to boarding school -- Scientology or otherwise.

Katie could have gotten more child support under New York law if the case went to trial, but both she and Tom decided to settle quickly.

We reported early on ... Katie said she wanted nothing from Tom other than a divorce -- well that's exactly what she got.

0702_katie_tom_before_footer

fast34me

That leaves more money for Tom to give to the cult of Scientology. Tom's a tool and has as much class as school summer vacation.

Whoisit

$400,000 a year for 1 kid!

That is complete and utter BS. It does not take 400K to raise a kid people. People can raise a kid on 30k a year....wtf you going to spend $400K on? Don't tell me it is all going to be spent on the kid lol.

The Judge who awarded this should have their head examined.

Laura

All I can say is... "This is a clear example of what you do when you want out of a marriage bad enough and good for Katie!" She can now move on with plenty of peace AND... happiness! She's got her daughter AND... NOW she can relax and needs to find a real man with A LOT less mental issues AND... possibly a straight man that she can be TRULY happy with! NO MORE DRAMA FOR KATIE MOMMA! You go girl...

RunzWithScissors

When I got divorced, I asked my ex for nothing. I paid for everything, I just wanted his butt gone from my life.He gives me money now and then and I put it into a college fund for the kids.

DaveT

Haha at the assertion that Katie got nothing...There's no accounting for the spending of child support.
Moms can spend the money on whatever they want, including themselves.
How, exactly, do you spend $33,000 a month on a little kid?
You can't. Not possible.
Where's the rest of the money going to go each month?
College fund?
..."Tom must also pay Suri's expenses, including medical, dental, insurance, education, college and extracurricular costs"....
Nope, Tom is paying college and much more, including extracurricular costs...meaning *everything* else outside of needs.
So, where will the rest of the $33,000 go every month?
Katie scored, big time.
Not to mention the amount of money Tom spent on her during the marriage.
And the material assets Tom bought for her that she walks away with.
Tom-haters are spinning their wheels but not getting anywhere ;)

JimmyB

Uh....Why exactly does Mom get a free ride & Dad has to pay for everything? Funny how that goes.

scoopie

Been unemployed for 2 years, and I'd like to offer my services to TMZ as spell checker... example...

all TOLD, all TOLD, all TOLD!

and Katie's stock in being a decent person went way up, but his is decimated.. he could afford to give her a lump sum and not even miss it

dd

well how will she ever survive!

WiddoMouse

Katie has her own career. She does not need spousal support from Tom. She is a class act.

Raejean

This is a significant level child support, suited to his earnings. Quite appropriate. I assume she also got the clothes on her back and some household items to establish a functional home for Suri?

chilly willy

Tom did the aliens from scientology help you with this?

Dreamtime

Most people I know never heard of Katie Homes before she married Tom. I'd say she got PLENTY out of her relationship with Cruise. Now she's got a career.

Heidi

KUDOS' TO 'BOTH' TOM & KATIE FOR WORKING OUT THE DETAILLS PRIOR TO MARRIAGE WITH A PRE-NUP WHICH WAS AMICABLE TO THE BOTH OF THEM SINCE 'BOTH' HAVE MONEY & CAREERS OF THEIR OWN....... GOOD FOR THEM & I APPLAUD THEM FOR SHOWING CLASS.... PERHAPS HOLLYWOOD CAN LEARN A THING OR TWO FROM THIS COUPLE......:)

MsSuburbia

This is a ruse. Those are the terms of the MARITAL dissolution agreement, not the BUSINESS dissolution agreement. Here's how I know there were two agreements: Prenuptial and antenuptial agreements can't be conditioned on "duties" in a marriage. Katie obviously had contracted duties: appearances, etc. It was a five-year contract, with a civil penalty for early termination/breach. Common sense says there was a payoff for Katie's "agreeability" and waiver of court intervention in the divorce. Otherwise, she had nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by letting the New York court calculate her child support. Both Tom and Katie benefit in the public eye from this "amicable" resolution. She looks sweet and unselfish, and his secrets stay hidden.

supermom

Katie your freedom from Tom was worth the loss of $$