Neil Armstrong

Dead at 82

8/25/2012 12:19 PM PDT UPDATED: 8/25/2012 1:22 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0825_neil_armstrong_getty_deadNeil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, has died today. He was 82.

Armstrong died following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures, his family said in a statement. It is not known where he died.

The statement from Armstrong's family said in part, "While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves."

Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft, which landed on the moon on July 20, 1969. During his three-hour walk on the moon's surface, he radioed back the famous line, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Armstrong married his current wife Carol in 1999 and lived in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill. He stayed largely out of the public spotlight in recent years.

TMZ cameras caught Armstrong only once, back in 2009, where we asked him what celebrity he'd like to see in space and why his autographs is worth so much.

0825_neil_armstrong_remembering_rip

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

TheVolleyballGod

Instead of dropping his ashes on the moon how bout zip his body up in a space suit, shoot it to the moon with heavy ankle weights tied to the space boots and drop the body on the moon with a lil live web cam floating from a nylon sting tied to the space glove... I would think his body would be preserved forever

Taterbug1962

I don't usually leave a comment but yesterday a REAL American HERO passed away that truly saddens my heart. A good man and obviously brave man who brought light to a world with hope and encouragement for the rest of mankind to realize that we can travel to other places outside our own Earth. It doesn't matter if he was from Ameica but it does make me prouder I have to admit because I was fortunate enough to meet him when I was in the third grade and he came to our small town school and talked to our class and even gave as all signed autographed photos of himself plus passed around a moon rock, sealed in some type of acrylic material which was SUPER cool! I was always interested in science and after that visit I made straight A's for the next 11 years in science and science related subjects and truthfully I owe so much to that visit and my fascination with space travel and the future of our own planet and mankind.. RIP ...NEIL ARMSTRONG ! One of the last heros from my childhood.

Neil

Here is an online memorial to Neil Armstrong - please feel free to light a virtual candle or sendvirtual flowers - http://www.memorialmatters.com/memorials.php?page=NeilArmstrong

angie

condolences to his family, neil was truly a great man of history

Topgun

RIP Neil Armstrong,the world's first and greatest 20th century moon explorer.

belinda123

i told my kids about this man for the first time and read about him they were so excited to have know about this man

Max

thanks.

oink

Died a Liar.

ambelamba

When I was a wee lad he was my hero. He still is, although I wonder what he really saw in the moon and what secret he took with him. I don't get those people who believe that the entire Apollo project was a hoax. It wasn't. It was just that some things were better left hidden from the general public...

myopinion

RIP

rash on my ass

this is funny watch lmao http://youtu.be/GUgNP0v228Y

Stacy

We should have a moment of silence like we did that day...back in 1969.... flags should be flown half staff around the world,to show our RESPECT for one of the greatest accomplishments in history. Thanks to Neil Armstrong, we now know we can to the farthest reaches of the world to achieve our dreams. And it IS possible!!
I salute you,Neil!! God Bless America!

Stacy

All the world should have a momment of silence.....similar to the one we had at that moment in time..,in 1969..... flags flown at half staff around the world.... public memorials, to show how proud we are of the greatest accomplishment this country has EVER seen!!
Thanks to N

Stacy

We should have ALL flags flown at half staff around the world,public memorials, and a moment of silence across the globe,similar to the one we had back then....in 1969..... Thanks to Neil we know we can achieve even our wildest dreams, even if they do take us to the farthest outreaches of the world!!
I salute you,Neil...an American Hero!
God Bless America....you've done us proud.....!!!!!!!!

*the First Moonwalker*

Swim

I just hope he used the "club" on the moonbuggy when they left it on the moon so aliens wouldn't steal it.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7