'Idol' Finalist Haley Reinhart

Slays Michael Jackson's

Super Famous Lyrics

8/29/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

082812_halie_launch
One of the Jackson 5's biggest hits -- "I Want You Back" -- was assassinated by former "American Idol" finalist Haley Reinhart ... who heinously botched the lyrics during a live performance, and TMZ has the footage.

You know Michael's famous words -- "oooh baby give me one more chance" ... but that's about all Reinhart remembered when she sang the Motown classic at the W Hotel in Hollywood last weekend.

In the video ... Reinhart forgets the lyrics in the VERY FIRST verse, momentarily gets back on track, and then flubs again -- all while peeking at the lyrics on her phone. Not that it helped.

Haley weathered a few hecklers -- like the dude yelling, "You don't know the words!"

Bright side? Her voice sounds great ... and her shirt is really shiny.

Smokey

I think this girl is either fearless or crazy getting up to do an MJ song she doesn't know. The band didn't know it either for goodness sakes . She sounded great to me otherwise. THanks for the promo TMZ

Smokey

Looked to me like this was totally impromptu at some kind of party its no big deal. Kelly Clarkson does this at her concerts but she reads lyrics off a teleprompter x)

Jayvaie Jackson

SHUT THE **** UP HATERS !
ANYWAY , IF YOU DONT KNOW THE DAMN SONG , BE THE **** QUIET , THE TO THE MOTHER****ING END!

Areader

Tell the whole story TMZ.....The song wasn't on her play list and she was asked if she would sing it.

She said to the audience...."I don't know all the words".....She then pulled to lyrics up on her phone!

Tinalouise

hahaa! And America wanted and almost voted her American Idol!! Go figure..i never liked her or her voice. Nice to see her going the way of all the so called American Idols...to nowhere land!!!

DaveT

Aw man makes ya cringe for people when they forget the lyrics.
Actually happens quite a bit with experienced professionals too, forgetting lyrics during performance.
I was with family friends once in the car and Neil Diamond came on, and the mom and one of her boys started singing along...."The reverend in blue jeans babe!" :D

sarahfilipe

Haley has spent the last year creating, mastering, and promoting her debut album "Listen Up!" She has been very busy, so she really hasn't had much time to practice cover songs. And from what I've heard, she was asked to sing this at the very last minute. For all the people that feel compelled to say rude and negative things about Haley, shame on you. She is hard working, dedicated, and has an amazing voice. She is changing music, and bringing back what's actually enjoyable about music. Don't count her out, you'll regret it.

Bill Esposito

...Haley Reinhart is a beautiful young artist, supported by her dad, who played on stage with her on A.I.. It's how she handles the glitches on stage that makes her so wonderful, like when she tripped on the A.I. stage and made a great recovery to finish the song. She has been thrown into the spot light very quickly and she seems determined to shine as an artist. If you can find the good sounding version of Ben E King's song "I who have nothing" on youtube done by Haley on A.I....(some versions do not have very good sound quality), and can listen through your sound system at home, you'll see what I think is one of her best songs to date. It's the one backed by an orchestra. God love her...I certainly do!!!

milan89

It was funny when she told the audience she needed help, and you can hear the guy saying, "yes, you do."

Megan Moore

I couldn't stand her on Idol. Don't care much for her now.

tori cline

Was she seriously looking at her phone for the lyrics? Despite the fact that she didn't know the words she actually sounded good and improvised really well. The qualities of a true performer. They must have sprung the performance on her and it wasn't that bad. She's an amazing singer.

Sto

I don't think you guys know what it means to 'slay' something. When someone slays something, theyhave done an incredible job. They kill it. It doesn't mean what you think it does.

shadowmia

Can only say --- YUCK, RINHuRT!!!" (i've given the spelling of the woman's name the same respect she showed re MJ's great song)

paul

Who cares if Haley didn't know the words of a silly squeaky old J5 song!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3