Michael Jackson's Birthday

MJ's Kids Celebrate at

Singer's Childhood Home

8/29/2012 7:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0829_mj_kids_infToday is Michael Jackson's birthday ... he would have been 54 years old ... and his kids are honoring his memory with a family trip to MJ's boyhood home in Indiana.

Prince, Paris and Blanket were spotted in Gary, IN yesterday ... along with their co-guardian Katherine Jackson and their aunt La Toya. TJ Jackson -- the OTHER co-guardian -- also made the trip.

0829_latoya_katherine_jackson_INFMichael will be honored at the annual "Goin Back to Indiana" celebration in Gary ... which kicks off tonight with a candlelight vigil in front of MJ's childhood home.

The kids are also expected to throw out the first pitch at a Gary SouthShore RailCats baseball game this week.

Michael died on June 25, 2009. He was 50.

0829_mj_kids_six_flags_footer

MiMi

Happy Birthday Michael.

Forever KING of Music, Dance and Humanitarinism.

MiMi

My Next Book: Michael Jackson, Inc.

Today marks the 54th anniversary of Michael Jackson’s birth, and millions of fans around the world are celebrating the life of the King of Pop. So, I figured, what better time to announce the birth of my next book—a business-focused biography called Michael Jackson, Inc.

Scheduled to be published by Simon & Schuster’s Free Press imprint in 2014, this will be my second book, following Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner To Corner Office (Penguin/Portfolio, 2011). And though my Jay-Z book was well received—Bloomberg called it “one of the year’s best rock books”—I think the Jackson book will be even better, in my humble opinion.

Michael Jackson, Inc. will tell the story of the rise, fall and rise of a billion-dollar empire, focusing on how Jackson’s own underrated business savvy helped him build one of the most impressive realms in the history of entertainment. Yes, Jackson died with hundreds of millions of dollars in debt. But he also left behind at least $1 billion in assets, the result of shrewd decision-making by himself and those who guided him in the 1980s.

My research is progressing rapidly and I’ve already started writing. This summer, I’ve done reporting in Jackson’s hometown of Gary, Indiana, his adopted home of Los Angeles and even Neverland Ranch. I’ve interviewed members of his immediate and extended family; friends from childhood, adolescence and adulthood; lawyers, dealmakers, writers, producers and publicists who worked with him over the years; and representatives from his estate.

As I continue my day job as a staff writer at FORBES covering the music business, I’ve also been collecting anecdotes from the entertainers Jackson worked with over the years. Without giving anything away, let me assure you that I’m building a trove of previously unreported accounts from pop stars, rappers and rockers alike—tales that have never been told and are sure to add another layer of depth to the public perception of Michael Jackson (for a small taste, see my video with Justin Bieber below).

The inspiration for this book couldn’t have been more organic. I’ve been covering the business of Michael Jackson at FORBES for years, watching as his estate racked up roughly half a billion dollars in the three years since his death, more than any single living musician earned over the same period of time. And over and over, many of my sources—in some cases, lawyers who ended up on the opposite side of the table from Jackson—kept telling me that much of Jackson’s posthumous success had to do with smart business decisions he made early in his career.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized there was a story here that needed to be told, a counterintuitive hypothesis about one of the world’s most celebrated figures of all time. To be sure, Michael Jackson made his share of poor choices, especially later in life. I won’t shy away from those moments, but I’ll be sure to present the facts in as neutrally and unsensationally as I have in my FORBES stories over the years (see “The Shockingly Boring Truth About Michael Jackson’s Will”).

I’ve been thrilled to become acquainted with many of Michael Jackson’s fans as I’ve written those stories, and I must say I’ve never encountered a more loyal, knowledgeable and prescient group of people attached to any entertainer. A few of you even suggested that I write a business book about Jackson while I was in the process of pitching it to publishers—thank you so much for that encouragement, and please keep the comments coming. I hope you’ll understand that even as I continue to cover the business of Michael Jackson for FORBES, I’ll have to save some stories for the book!

I’ve decided to donate a portion of proceeds from my book to a good cause (for a book about Michael Jackson, it only seems fitting). I’m leaning toward a charity that would allow me to quantify the donation for readers—every book sold will translate into a meal for someone in need, or a vaccination for someone who can’t afford it, something to that effect. But I still haven’t decided on a charity, so feel free to leave suggestions in the comments field below.

If you’d like to receive email updates on the book, sign up here. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned. I promise the book will be worth the wait.

Bitch please

Unfortunately the young girl from her tweets to her statements is starting to sound like she will be a hooch when shes of legal age. It also seems like she is having a better life after her father died. Almost like shes happy hes dead.

Bitch please

Why doesnt she honor her late fathers wish and stay out of the public eye and off social media. Shows how must she "respects" her fathers wishes.....NOT!

b.baker

Six flags in in Illinois not Indiana, 30 north of Chicago, about an hour from Gary, In

Alessandra

Feliz aniversário Michael.
Nós te amamos muito.

Eliane

Happy birthday.
Michael you are our angel.
The Brazilian fans love you.

David

Michael Jackson's adopted kids look cool.

MiMi

Video recalls King of Pop

---

Superstar Michael Jackson would have been 54 years old today. He’s been gone three years now, but fans worldwide are still feeling the void.

As his hometown of Gary, Ind. preps for a big weekend celebration of the life of the man who brought us the record-breaking Thriller, the moon walk, and hours of listening pleasure with hits that made an indelible impression on music lovers of all ages, we open our vaults to share exclusive video footage featuring the King of Pop.

Take a look:

LaurinLC

Harvey asked if they have Six Flags in Indiana. The answer is no. The Six Flags they went to (Great America) is in Gurnee, Illinois (a northern suburb of Chicago).

MiMi

Live Stream from New York City

Celebrating Michael Jackson and BAD25

Susan62509

Happy Birthday Michael Jackson.

Kimbo

MIMI
JOHN
NICE LOOKING KIDS. Paris has nice, thick hair. Blanket is so adorable. Prince has a nice physique. They're beautiful. All three of them. Happy Birthday Michael Jackson. I love you.

---------------
Gay, if you are still in the closet, come out already. You will be happy (gay)!

-------------

Pedo,

Gay to say "love" to another man you don't know, creepy to say what was said about kids.

If you have come out already, crawl back to where you came from. The kids will be really happy!

Elizabeth