Eddie Van Halen

Recovering After Emergency Surgery

8/30/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0830_eddie_van_halen_01
Sorry Japan, you're gonna have to wait for Van Halen ... the band is postponing their Japanese concert tour because Eddie Van Halen just underwent emergency surgery on his intestine.

Van Halen just released a statement ... saying, "Eddie underwent an emergency surgery for a severe bout of Diverticulitis. No further surgeries are needed and a full recovery is expected within 4 - 6 months."

According to WebMD, Diverticulitis is essentially when pouches form in the wall of the colon and become inflamed ... very, very painful stuff.

It's unclear how long 57-year-old Eddie has been suffering from the condition or when he went under the knife.

Van Halen says the band is calling off the November tour of Japan ... and will reschedule for some time in 2013.

YouDontSay

More and more people are getting diverticulitis. Tells you about our food. Get well Eddie!

Pua

"4 to 6 months"!?!?! I had the exact same surgery after 10 yrs. of diver. I was running, working, working out after 2 weeks... Sounds like a good way to cancle a tour with people you hate.

Julian

Van Halen's "A Different Kind of Truth" -- released just this year -- is the best rock comeback album I've ever heard.

I hope that Eddie Van Halen gets well soon -- and that he and David Lee Roth continue making America's greatest rock music.

romba

Diverticulitis. So that's what they call choking on your own vomit these days.

DRC

Wow what a great loss ...its a shame Eddie Vs Dead

Patrick

Indeed. My Dad and I have both had that, and it does HURT like a MOFO!

Billyrob

Even worse for Eddie:
Just last year "diverticulitis" was named
"the most non-rock and roll sounding disease of all time."
More at: http://wp.me/p1VsTV-2uw

Chuck

I don't believe this story, I think something major is going on in the VH camp. First they cancel US tour dates, now they cancel the Japan dates. Something smells.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3