'American Idol'

Randy Jackson

OUT AS JUDGE

8/31/2012 8:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0830_randy_jackson_american_idol_articleThe dawg days are over at "American Idol" ... TMZ has learned Randy Jackson is officially LEAVING the judge's table ... but will still remain a part of the show as a "mentor."

Sources connected to "Idol" tell us ... there's some concern among the brass that Jackson is not well-suited for the mentor role ... but they feel they need him because he's the glue that helps keep the show together.

As for his replacement ... sources tell us Nicki Minaj's deal is 99% done ... but still not a sure thing just yet.

We're told the honchos are keenly aware Mariah Carey isn't a fan of Minaj and doesn't want her at the table ... a fact producers LOVE because they think the conflict and tension will be good for the show.

And ... we now know A.I. will once again go with a 4th judge ...  we're told producers are gunning for someone from the country music world for the third seat.  Seat number 4 is up in the air.

Finally, altough "A.I." wanted Diddy or Kanye West ... we're told they are definitely out of the picture.

Thiiiiiiiiis ... is getting intense.

0831_randy_jackson_american_idol_judge_footer

Rob

It's finally imploded. Don't care if I ever see Ryan Secrest again but Randy...there is nothing fake about him. Hope he continues to do well but AI and Fox....implode!

belmarjerzy

"Not well suited for mentor role" This show sucks!! This show 86's some good talent from the show for yrs now because like most of us they make a mistake and in the past and its on their record.. it's not like they got cought robbing ban s sticking up 711's

Cochise

So Randy is out as judge, they don't think he'd fit the mentor role but he's the glue that holds the show together? They're just using the guy at this point. If I were Randy I'd tell them F that and them for trying to play me for a fool then walk. They wave money, wave demands. If he's the "glue" obviously he's the backbone. He's just the last face of what the show used to be and they want to milk that.

Ann

Well, guess that absolutely ends my viewing of AI.......I've never missed a show but now they've just gone crazy.....Sorry AI but I'm on with X Factor now....

devilgirl

I must be psychic or this was known like two weeks ago, because this is not news to me.

Gretchen

I don't even watch AI anymore, but am going to comment anyhow. When I did watch, it wasn't because of the judges but because of the contestants.
Why would you want a show where the judges might "fight" amongst themselves rather than have judges who would really take these kid's talent into consideration and vote on them in an honest way but not because she didn't or he didn't? Ratings are great but come on now..................Think of the contestants!!

kakes

This show just needs to be canceled. It's had a good run. But they are more worried about the judges then the singers. See ya , dawg!

lucy

It may be time to let it go when Randy Jackson is the glue holding it all together...it's on it's last gasp lol

Yourkiddingmeright

If niki is a judge I swear I'll never watch again. She's soooo annoying.

Phishie from Philly

What else can he do. Randy can only be a judge for AI. He's the one that kept it together.
Phishie from Philly

There's a problem here

Intense my arse. This show has been so over for at the last three seasons ever since that Kara woman did the totally shark jumping bikini reveal. I still have no idea WTF that was about.
Even though Randy Jackson wasn't exactly Mr Excitement, besides that foppy panty girl Simon Cowell he was the only person who knew the business. So he's out. I doubt if anyone will even notice because no one will be watching.

Bug

Idol is done. I for one won't tune it to watch these freaks. if this is the class they are going for to get ratings and to satisfy their sponsors, they are way off base and really don't know their audience at all. TOO BAD.

The New Improved Sock Puppet

That's great news! That now leaves the chair open for Honey Boo Boo or Chloe Kardashian!

Observer999

What is this, "Black Idol"? C'mon... clearly racism is at work here. 70% of the population is white and that means 2 of the judges MUST be white.

Oh... that's ridiculous, you say? Yes, it is. But if there were three white judges, all hell would break loose, wouldn't it?

Flying Blind

this show is not only jumping the shark, it's sinking to the bottom of the ocean like a James Cameron submarine.