'American Idol'

Randy Jackson

OUT AS JUDGE

8/31/2012 8:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0830_randy_jackson_american_idol_articleThe dawg days are over at "American Idol" ... TMZ has learned Randy Jackson is officially LEAVING the judge's table ... but will still remain a part of the show as a "mentor."

Sources connected to "Idol" tell us ... there's some concern among the brass that Jackson is not well-suited for the mentor role ... but they feel they need him because he's the glue that helps keep the show together.

As for his replacement ... sources tell us Nicki Minaj's deal is 99% done ... but still not a sure thing just yet.

We're told the honchos are keenly aware Mariah Carey isn't a fan of Minaj and doesn't want her at the table ... a fact producers LOVE because they think the conflict and tension will be good for the show.

And ... we now know A.I. will once again go with a 4th judge ...  we're told producers are gunning for someone from the country music world for the third seat.  Seat number 4 is up in the air.

Finally, altough "A.I." wanted Diddy or Kanye West ... we're told they are definitely out of the picture.

Thiiiiiiiiis ... is getting intense.

0831_randy_jackson_american_idol_judge_footer

BlackCloud

O well, he was annoying anyways.

Nicoleasm

If Nicki Minaj is going to be on, I won't be watching. I would've loved to see MC, but Minaj would be a joke. Her voice is annoying, she can't speak very well, nor can she speak without saying weird things or phrases. She tries to be in left field like Lady Gaga, but it fails with me. Plus who wants to watch those 2 fighting? MC has been successful across the world and with all walks of life, similiar to MJ, she's so much better than fighting with Minaj. AND, we can't have ALL hip hop people at the judges table, they need to represent all music styles. If they want hip hop, they need to pick someone with a little more poise and respect about themselves...unfortunately I can't think of anyone

forreal

Didn't they do that "4th Judge" thing before with Ellen DeGeneres? That didn't turn out so well either. I think the producers are just throwing stuff against the wall to see what will stick. Maybe it's time to put this show out to pasture.

Cazz8203

GOOD!!! now can you please end this miserable show!!??

Rodney

Shouldn't they put this **** on BET now?... Death of American Idol to bad it didn't happen earlier

**** show from the start

Phishie from Philly

Randy s actually the 7th Jackson brother.
Phishie from Philly

bellyman

"mong the brass that Jackon is not well-suited for the mentor role"

Jackon.
Jackoff.
Jackon, Jackoff.

The Dawg.

Great proofing TMZ.

Nicki Minaj? Who is next? China McClain?

They are 'DESPIT'.

pak1

F I N A L L Y!

Jude

GOOD GRIEF!!!!! Is it possible to say how awful NIkki Minaj is without resorting to these nasty racist comments? It would have more credibility is it wasn't so racist. I would read a comment and shake my head in agreemnet until I read some nasty attack on her race. Then you lose me. I think she is an awful no talent choice but it has nothing to do with her race.

billy

Nikki Minaj sucks and so does American Idol.... who watches this **** anymore?

Josh

This show has become WAY too "DARK" if you know what I mean. I will NEVER watch it again because of that huge and uncomfortable imbalance.

Laura

It doesn't matter who they get--the show is on its last legs. Too bad the producers don't listen to what the public wants. Nicki Minaj will bury the show--the last nail in the coffin. So, yes, please hire her.

gamepro

randy jackson was the only judge that had some sense and gave great advice but now with these were only going to hear that was perfect or that was horrible each time and record labels will probably look at these judges like how do you expect this person to get a deal

Rocco

It would really be intense if this was a story anyone cared about. This is about a show that's lost its mojo, and doesn't have a clue how to get it back. That'll happen when you have a nitwit like Nigel calling the shots. Look for smaller and smaller audiences, until Fox mercifully puts it out of its misery.

Josh

American Idol total viewership will be directly proportional to the number of TV sets in the GHETTO!