'American Idol'

Randy Jackson

OUT AS JUDGE

8/31/2012 8:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0830_randy_jackson_american_idol_articleThe dawg days are over at "American Idol" ... TMZ has learned Randy Jackson is officially LEAVING the judge's table ... but will still remain a part of the show as a "mentor."

Sources connected to "Idol" tell us ... there's some concern among the brass that Jackson is not well-suited for the mentor role ... but they feel they need him because he's the glue that helps keep the show together.

As for his replacement ... sources tell us Nicki Minaj's deal is 99% done ... but still not a sure thing just yet.

We're told the honchos are keenly aware Mariah Carey isn't a fan of Minaj and doesn't want her at the table ... a fact producers LOVE because they think the conflict and tension will be good for the show.

And ... we now know A.I. will once again go with a 4th judge ...  we're told producers are gunning for someone from the country music world for the third seat.  Seat number 4 is up in the air.

Finally, altough "A.I." wanted Diddy or Kanye West ... we're told they are definitely out of the picture.

Thiiiiiiiiis ... is getting intense.

0831_randy_jackson_american_idol_judge_footer

edwardkarpuska@gmail.com

nicki ?what crap after the adam lambert season the show and its cred.went way down. nicki who chris allen what .at least tv is just as easy to change channels as the radio adam lambert was the death call for idol never will they have a season worth watching after that year he is the best vocal talent ever on that show and he lost . thats when i gave up any hope for this marketing platform .just saying turn it off it is done bye idol

Yup

So, I guess AI is now trying to appeal to the rave crowd. And the official death rattle of AI begins. Getting worthless nicki minaj to judge just confirms that this isn't about talent; the only talent this woman apparently has is striking poses in a pink wig. Mariah may be borderline whacky, but at least she can sing in 4 octaves.

DaveT

Gonna miss you dawg, don't really watch the show much anymore, but I do once in a while and it's kind of cool that Randy was still there, kind of like that familiar thing or spot at home you get used to and depend on to be there as a source of familiarity.
As far as Mariah and Nicki, kinda doubt there will much arguing between them.
Mariah is actually a calm and collected personality, not confrontational, and generally a sweetheart.
She has a rude diva rep because of jealousy from other less successful celebrities....jealous women....but it's all bunk. She's a good wife, good mom, good friend, and excellent to her fans.

Suznaz

Wager this will likely be the last season of AI.

RS

Dana Carvey please. That show is starved for humor.

Teacher gal

Spellcheck? Altough?

aerosmith1

Nikki Minaj has no talent, I guess that means she's perfect for the show.

Silent Lurker

I'm done. Steve Tyler leaving was the point I decided No more Idol for me.

jarrollin

Aw dawg, dis jus' ain't fo' you anymo'...

jetfanglo

yo....yo...yo...dawwwg..........GOOD !.........but alas,too little toooo late

Joann

I don't watch AI but I have kept up with it over the years on different threads and blogs. One thing that seems clear to me is that it's not a singing contest but a popularity contest judged by teen, white girls in the south. (at least that's usually the way it appears based on the results) Knowing this, why would they add Nicki? I can see Mariah because like her or not she does have talent. Nikki is talentless and trashy. (sorry, it's true) As far as my opinion on Randy; If it aint broke don't fix it. I actually thought Randy might help soothe the Diva in Mariah and keep a balance on the panel. That's pretty much what he's always done is keep a balance. This show is signing it's death certificate if they bring in Nicki Minaj.

LCS27

They're getting to the point that there are more people being considered to be a judge than people watching the show.

Jon Koobation

Yo....Yo.... never really cared for him anyway.......same ole sctick!

Grumpyswife

Nicki Minaj is a HORRIBLE choice. I would NEVER want her for a roll model for my daughter. You can do much better than that - especially if you care about the Idol ratings at all.

Sara Sells Sea Shells

AI's first mistake: Letting Paula go. Second: Adding Kara. Third: Ellen. Fourth: Letting Simon go. Fifth: Staying on the air.

American Idol, you goose is cooked. Just die already. No one cares anymore.