Robin Roberts

I Got to See My Mom

Before She Died

9/4/2012 7:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0904_robin_roberts_01
Robin Roberts says she arrived to her mother's bedside in the nick of time after leaving "Good Morning America" on Thursday ... and got to "hold her sweet hand when she took her last breath."

Roberts -- who was recently diagnosed with a rare blood disorder -- had decided to go on medical leave one day early after her mother's health took a turn for the worse.

Robin's mother died Thursday night ... but Robin went to Facebook to tell her fans she DID get to see her mom before she passed away.

"My family tells me momma gave me one final gift as her last act. She waited for me to get home on Thursday to say goodbye."

Roberts adds, "She was there when I took my first breath and what a privilege to hold her sweet hand when she took her last breath."

"Momma knew she wasn't physically able to be with me for my bone marrow transplant. My siblings say mom wanted to spare me the agony it would have been if she had passed and I couldn't be there. That thought was weighing heavily on me."

Roberts says she rescheduled her bone marrow transplant because of her mother's passing ... but says, "When I return to NYC and walk through those hospital doors next week momma will be right there with me."

Blanca Hernandez

Hi Robin, my sympathy for your mother passing, God bless you and I hope that you get well soon, you are a good daughter and a very stong woman take care and I pray to God for you.

SanD

We love you, Robin. Our prayers are with you during this difficult time.

nessbell

you are a sick person to said something so nasty, at a time like this for robin, and her family, you need GOD in your life. robin and sally I"m praying for you and your family. Harvey La.

tracker

ROBIN YOU ARE A TRUE INSPIRATION AND YOUR OTHER FAMILY WILL BE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY..IT WILL ALL BE O.K.YOUR MOM IS STILL WITH YOU SHE JUST ADDED HER ANGEL WINGS..

Elaine

I am just shocked about the way people are commenting about Robin's illness and the passing of her mother. Robin has carried herself with dignity and poise and professionalism. Good Grief people, do you think I care about some of the so-called celebrities and being bombarded with their stories of love and lust. Give me and Robin a break. Her news is life threatening. Elaine

Dianne

God bless Robin and her family, in this overwhelming time in her life. . . her mother will know "she raised her good", and will be waching over her during her next phase of treatmen. . . I'll be thinking of you, and praying for your recovery.

RealTalk

I like stories like this because there not to show that celebrities are more important then us but that they are just as human and not immune to the ups and downs of life.

jenndee

someones mother just died and regardless of wether she is famous or not its something terrible to go thru. i cant believe there so many people saying such negative things. robin is someone that a lot of people wake up to every morning thats why so many people care.

Tracker

test

LeahT

So sad. Robin's had her fair share of troubles lately, and now with her mother passing...heartbreaking.
My thoughts and prayers are with you Robin.

patricia

what in the world is going on with people how dare you leave a message being mean about this lady she lost her mother and going through things thats not nice have some respect please. robin i will pray for you and your family in this time of sorrow no that your mother in heaven smiling down on you good luck next week i will miss you stay strong god have you cover.

marion

I am sorry for your loss. Your mom sounds like a fantastic person. Now you focus on getting better and come on back we miss you. You are the best. May God grant you his grace and mercy and his wonderful favor. In my thoughts.

brwneyes

God Bless you Robin and your intire family. From one cancer survivor to another I want to thank you for using your platform to bring awareness to cancer of all kinds and the importance of early detection. As a colon rectal cancer survivor, I am a supporter of Stand Up To Cancer (as well as other cancer organizations) I'm looking forward to watching SUTC on September 6. You are a CLASS ACT LADY, I pray the God continue to bless you and use you as one of is vessels. Again God Bless you your sister Sally and your entire family.

palermo

Robin, you're in my prayers, too many bad things happening to you all at once. Stay strong.

Ethel Carter

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY,MY PRAYER ARE WITH YOU.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments