Tom Hanks

Ya Gotta Hear the Story He Told at Michael Clarke Duncan's Funeral

9/11/2012 12:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0911_main_tom_hanks
Tom Hanks
gave a GREAT speech at Michael Clarke Duncan's funeral ... retelling a story M.C.D. had told him about why the enormous actor joined (and then unjoined) a Chicago street gang when he was a kid.

Hanks -- who co-starred with Duncan in "The Green Mile" -- had the crowd roaring with laughter ... a touching tribute to his old friend.

As we previously reported, the private ceremony took place at Forest Lawn in Hollywood -- with tons of Duncan's famous friends in attendance ... including Jay Leno, Vivica A. Fox and Holly Robinson Peete.

Pierce Aero One

That story made me miss him more. That's the kinda story you tell for a man that you will miss. :')

anyjoe

Those who think this is raciest and who are make the black face comments...
See it seems racist to you and many like you who have posted on here because you think tom hanks tried to impersonate a black man using a stereotypical voice, however he tried to impersonate his friend as he had told story to tom.

If your looking for racism I don't think you will find it here where a man was simply paying his respect to a lost friend by reliving and retelling a story from one of the good times they shared together.

Look in the mirror, perhaps you'll find it there.

RIP MCD

sean

Very touching memory, but I could have done without the blackccent. XD not cool.

Mallory

I know he was trying to lighten the mood, but child abuse isn't funny. Hitting your child with a frying pan isn't funny.

anya2u

A greatl tribute, Tom....... to the gentle giant and his wonderful Mom. I'm sure he is pleased to be remembered so lovingly. More funerals should be like this, less tears and more happy memories of the one who has passed along.

Natacha

R.I.P Mr. Duncan

Natacha

I love Tom Hanks, he is the best, he only has good intentions...and he is awesome for that. Great story, he is always trying to bring everyone up. <3 But Sadly there are those ignorant people that always have to find something negative to come up with. Very Very Sad.
Anyways...R.I.P Mr. Duncan

w

Beautiful Story Mr. Hanks, same thing with my Brother in Chicago circa 1976 and he's white lol, My Mom not only beat him with the broom when he came home and told her he joined a gang she took the trademark leather coat they gave him and threw it at them when they showed up at the house looking for him. They said she was a tough woman and they left my brother alone and always feared my Mom. She too was tiny 5'1 and a 100 pounds lol.

Rhonda C. Poynter

I almost skipped this because I just have never been that great a Tom Hanks fan, but being an admirer of Michael's, I played the clip...Fantastic job, Mr. Hanks, classy and wonderful in every way. You officially have a new fan -

Lemar

Such people as Michael should be able to trump over death for all they joy he shared with people.

Lori

Hey... you gotta fear a mama with a frying pan. :-) Michael Clarke Duncan's death was a real loss to the world... definitely a gentle giant. As for Tom Hanks... what a great storyteller!

J

What an absolutely ridiculous story. I appreciate the sentiment but not funny at all. Of all the time you spent around him, this is the most amusing anecdote you can use?

LuisMiFan

ANYJOE, I couldn't have said it better. Lighten up people, he was relating the story the way it was told to him. Those crying racism always have to make it about them and THEIR issues.

TheDad

It is sad to see someone who could make others laugh and cry like MCD leave us. After coming from a funeral ceremony a couple of weeks ago myself, it is great to see Tom Hanks remember a friend in a funny story. Everyone is sad, and sometimes we need to remember the funny times also. For those who say for Tom Hanks to sit down a shut up, do yourself a favor and blow it out your @ss. He was remembering a friend and others in the video looked to need the sense of humor MCD gave others.

jayne

I am so glad TMZ shared that story. Michael Clark Duncan was a great guy and will be greatly missed. Thanks Tom Hanks for the great story.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments