Martha Stewart, Emeril Lagasse

SUED

For Knifing Consumers

9/13/2012 5:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0913_martha_stewart_emeril
Martha Stewart
and Emeril Lagasse are accused of duping hungry consumers into buying bogus cooking knives ... this according to a new lawsuit.

Emeril Lagasse has been the pitchman for the cutlery, which he has been selling on the Home Shopping Network.  Martha Stewart's company -- Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia -- owns Emeril's product line.

The knives in question had the words "Solingen, Germany" emblazoned on the blade, leading consumers to believe the product was manufactured by the world-famous Solingen knife-makers. But according to the suit, the knives were cheap knock-offs made in China.

And this is funny.  The lawsuit highlights some crappy consumer reviews on HSN's website.  Por ejemplo:  "That is terrible when a top chef lies to you on TV ... Emeril cannot be trusted with what he advertises."  Another review says the knives "were rusting and were breaking in half."

The suit -- which seeks $2 mil in damages for each trademark infringement -- was filed by the Chamber of Industry and Commerce in Wuppertal-Solingen-Remscheid, which owns the Solingen name.

holycow

I found the handle to be sharper than the blade. What's with Emeril's blacker than black hair, are we supposed to think it's natural?

Doodles

Big surprise here folks !! Just because a big name star endorses doesn't necessarily make it quality product.
How impressionable we are sometimes!!!!!!

chuck

what do you expect from an ex con...........Macy's should be proud...............

victry4u

I feel Like XFactor brought it last night Britney was worth watching it her and Lavado but the guy coming on and acting out in the hallway seemed rehearsed and not genuine but nthe look on her face showed she did have compasssion for him. Britney is actually meaner than Simon

victry4u

Enough with Evelyn and Chad we all knew that it wouldn't last and he picked her because of the Media attention that was on her in the first place and now he is paying the ultimate price and now he can have all the media attention his heart desires. Atleaset she stopped being labeled easy and a Hoe but now she is actually a wife of a athlete Yeah Evelyn

South Beach

Good, I hope the German company cleans up. The rip off is disgusting and I am surprised at Stewart if not Lagasse, she's been in the retail game a long time, This is the kind of thing that can cause an audit on all your products Martha. Dumb move,

Straight Talkin Texan

I hope the plaintifs prevail. RICH people who LIE to consumers to become more rich MAKE ME SICK!

Barb

Emeril may be the front man, but it's Martha's product. She will probably just lie, like she did her securities case. I would never buy any of her products.

Linda

Maybe Martha and Emeril should sue China! Why are we even dealing with China? To get cheap products? Which are always junk! Martha and Emeril need to be smart enough to realize what every other American has come to realize, "Sometimes you really do get what you pay for".

MIKEYY

I DON'T BUT COULD THIS BE A VIOLATION OF MARTHAS PAROLE??

LindaJay

Shysters! The both of them. I think one of them is a known felon, is she not?

Spicy mag

They prob didn't know they were fakes.

Laurie

You get what you pay for, and in this case the name doesn't matter. I bought some all clad probably 18 years ago have had husbands die in that time. But the All Clad-at least of those days keeps on--I don't think it is the same quality today. I know the chef's do rip offs--sad. I did spent a lot of money in those days perhaps 4-500 dollars so if you are buying something for 1-2 you get what you pay for--still not right to sell your name-but then Martha's been doing that for years.

Dee

I agree with all the above comments. I actually brought plates at kmartand they chipped everytime we used them. Martha has already completed a stint in the pen, needs to go back. Emeril is just shocking. It comes back...even in the form of a lawsuit.

boggs7511

I had a set of the knives and my broke in half I too emailed Emerl and no response will not buy anymore.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3