Supermodel Maggie Rizer

United Airlines Killed My Dog

9/22/2012 7:19 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0922-maggie-rizer-twitter
Supermodel Maggie Rizer says United Airlines killed her dog -- and then lied about it.

Maggie says she was flying from NYC to San Fran two weeks ago and brought her 2-year-old Golden Retriever along. Maggie says Bea and her other dog were crated in the underbelly of the plane.

According to Maggie, the plane was delayed for two hours and the plane got so hot the pilot told the passengers to open their air vents.  She believes the cargo area wasn't ventilated and the hot air caused her dog to die of heat stroke.

And it gets worse.  Maggie says United coldly told her after the plane landed that one of her dogs was dead and then lied to her -- saying they sent the dog to the vet for a necropsy (to determine cause of death) but that never happened. The dead dog was just sitting in the crate.

Maggie says, "I am so saddened by the complete lack of competence, honesty and compassion that United has shown."  Nevertheless, she is not planning to sue.  FYI, the liability limitations would not make a lawsuit worth her time.

A rep for United said the company is sorry for Maggie's loss, but said they found no mechanical or operational issues with Bea’s flight and the investigation is ongoing.

PAMELA HOPKINS

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS, ITS SIMPLY TRAGIC AND HORRIFYING. UNITED EFFECTIVELY RUINED MY 20TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY WITH UNACEPTABLE DELAYS, SPENT A DAY AT DULLES AIRPORT BECAUSE OF THEM AND THEIR RESPONSE WAS HAVE FUN, SHOP AND EAT. THEY ARE DISORGANIZED AT BEST. ONCE AGAIN, MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY ON YOUR LOSS.

Ali

This breaks my heart and scares the heck out of me as our pets are like children to us. They get the highest medical care possible and we take excellent care of them. When you entrust them to bozo's like United and something totally preventable like this happens because they are: a) lazy, b) incompetent or c) uncaring or even all of the above they just lost us as customers and must be held accountable and punished. It's just not worth the risk to patronize businesses like this when they are morons.

I hope she sues them, even if it can only be in small claims court just to prove her point and get them as much bad publicity as possible.

I'm so sad for her and for how her beloved pet must have suffered.

NO MORE UNTIED FOR ME AND MY FAMILY!!!! I will share this story with anyone and everyone and I hope United pays and pays dearly.

Ally2012

Can't blame the airline!! its dangerous to bring pets on a plane! sad for the poor dog

nelson

ANYONE who would put their dog in with baggage in the belly of a plane is a total idiot. Would you put your child in a crate and ship it that way? Get real.
Very sorry for the loss and what happened to the dog.

Truth

While United is the worst run airlines in the industry...rude staff, terrible service, outrageous fee's etc etc. and im sure zero compassion with regard to how they treat pets I have to also put blame on the diva Maggie. People should know better than to subject a pet to long distance travel due to the tremendous stress it puts on them. Maggie is a self centered creep who most likely thinks a pet is like a gucci handbag.....accessory. Screw Her and God Bless that poor dog!

willie

A healthy young dog went on the plane. When it came off the plane, it was dead. Clearly, something drastic occurred within the cargo hold that resulted in the animal's death. But what is particularly troubling to me are the blatant lies and cold indifference expressed by the United Airlines staff to the grieving family. My question is: Is callous lying to divert blame and liability a matter of company policy at United Airlines? It certainly would appear to be so.

Sunset

United needs to be ashamed of themselves for having pets put in the underbelly of the plane and they are partly responsible for the death. They should just say no pets allowed at all. This woman is also responsible for her dog's death though because when they told her she would have to put the dogs there she should have not flown and found some other way home since she should have anticipated that it might be too hot for the dog.

Roger

I cannot BELIEVE some people are blaming her for bringing her dog, saying "this happens all the time." Well it should NEVER happen, period! The airline was responsible for that poor dog for what, 5 hours? They can't even keep a dog alive for 5 friggin hours? What kind of idiots are running that place? It doesn't matter if she wanted to take her dog with her, how long she was staying, whatever. She shouldn't have to worry about the airline KILLING him!

Jack Lame

The airline's management and CEOs should take a plane ride in the same area the animals are put. Lets see how long they'd last. Then they'd realize animals are living things, not pieces of luggage.
And to the people who wonder why she didn't leave the dog at home, why should she? Do you want to pay for the kennel or dog sitter?

Margaret

Exactly why I would never put my dog on an airplane

Lisa

That's what happens when you ship your pets in cargo. If you can't take them with you in the cabin, leave them with a sitter or at a kennel. If you are moving cross-country then drive! Sorry, but it's dangerous and cruel to ship your pets that way. This kind of thing happens a lot more than people realize.

Rocco

Cute doggies, but I gotta ask. She's a supermodel ?

whoa

MichelleWW

You can't even give a link to the story's source? Maggie's blog or even the People article? What is the deal with TMZ lately? It's sad.

MichelleWW

Anyone wanting read the whole story, Maggie's blog is called beamakesthree

Corrine246

I have never flown my pet anywhere but I can tell you that United Airlines is the absolute worst in customer service and anytime I have any choice at all, I will not fly their unfriendly airlines. RIP Bea.