Supermodel Maggie Rizer

United Airlines Killed My Dog

9/22/2012 7:19 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0922-maggie-rizer-twitter
Supermodel Maggie Rizer says United Airlines killed her dog -- and then lied about it.

Maggie says she was flying from NYC to San Fran two weeks ago and brought her 2-year-old Golden Retriever along. Maggie says Bea and her other dog were crated in the underbelly of the plane.

According to Maggie, the plane was delayed for two hours and the plane got so hot the pilot told the passengers to open their air vents.  She believes the cargo area wasn't ventilated and the hot air caused her dog to die of heat stroke.

And it gets worse.  Maggie says United coldly told her after the plane landed that one of her dogs was dead and then lied to her -- saying they sent the dog to the vet for a necropsy (to determine cause of death) but that never happened. The dead dog was just sitting in the crate.

Maggie says, "I am so saddened by the complete lack of competence, honesty and compassion that United has shown."  Nevertheless, she is not planning to sue.  FYI, the liability limitations would not make a lawsuit worth her time.

A rep for United said the company is sorry for Maggie's loss, but said they found no mechanical or operational issues with Bea’s flight and the investigation is ongoing.

Firefly

Here is a great song about United that broke a guitar. It's hilarous. Enjoy!
~

magica

THAT'S a supermodel? Geeze, our standards have fallen too far. She's very ordinary looking.

backfire

This is disheartening and very sad BUT I'VE READ ABOUT THIS BEFORE. SERIOUSLY, WHO ALLOWS AIRLINES TO PUT THEIR DOGS IN CRATES IN THE UNDERBELLY OF A PLANE? IT HAPPENS OVER AND OVER AND WITH THE 2 HR DELAY YOU HAD TO KNOW THIS WOULD HAPPEN THE AIRLINES ARE CRAP. PROTECT YOUR ANIMALS DON'T LET THEM FLY

JLS

Anyone with a brain knows that air travel with a dog in the belly is stupid. There is a much lower percentage of oxygen and no, it's not air conditioned. They expect passengers to use some common sense. My sister flew for AA for 45 years and told me dead animals in the belly is common. Thanks, Maggie Rizer, for being a stupid azz. Your dog paid the price.

Kathryne

I am so sorry for the loss of those wonderful dogs. I have had the Golden Retrivers and they are a faithful pet; and great with children. United should replace the dogs; without delay. It will never be the same; it will be different. It happened for me;when a run away dog came into my heart.

gutsygirl

As a Goldie owner this is a tragedy. That breed is the most trusting and loyal companion anyone could ever have. Leave it at home with a dog sitter, safe in its own environment and go wherever the heck you want.

Umm ok...

I don't understand the airlines who are willing to check animals as luggage, nor do I understand pet owners who want to do this to their pet. They are both nuts. I have a 17 year old husky that has never, and will never be checked baggage on a plane.

lauril

Never, ever fly your dog unless it is a small dog that can go into a carrier under your seat. Dogs die daily from flying in crates with the luggage. It is very dangerous. I have a friend who works with an airline and she is shocked that anyone flies their animals because they die so often.

Elaine

There is a whole FACEBOOK page dedicated to these deaths, this is not the first, there are many more you don't hear about as the owner is not a celebrity. THINK twice before flying on an airline with an animal in the hold :(

Roxanne

SUE the airline, they need to be held responsible !!!

Carl

Any intelligent dog owner knows you don't fly your dogs in cargo unless you have no other choice. Even if the airline didn't do anything wrong, the stress of the situation is so high that it could cause some pets to have heart attacks. If you are on vacation, hire a pet sitter. If you are moving try driving. I drove with my pets when I moved completely across the country. It isn't that bad.

John

The whole plane is pressurized not just the cabin.. animals are transported all the time and deaths are low.. if it got that hot to kill that one dog then the rest would have died too or needed emergency vet treatment.

The vents in the cabin are closed and other areas don't have them because they are not needed. they only put them in the cabin to keep the cry babies who get to cold.

John

Mrsmojorisin

Honestly, this just sickens and saddens me-why people subject their animals to this torture is beyond me!!! That poor dog must have suffered tremendously. Bottom line-you would not put your child in a crate in the hot "belly" of the plane, so why your dog? I with I never read this ad story!

tiff321

thats really horrible i could image the pain about losing a dog. a dog is someone family it doesn't matter if u are a super model or just a regular person it really sad losing someone u really care about even a pet.