Andy Williams

Dead at 84

9/26/2012 6:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0926_andy_williams_01
Legendary singer and TV host Andy Williams has died.

According to his rep, Williams passed away last night at his home in Branson, MO after a year-long battle with bladder cancer. He was 84.

The "Moon River" singer -- who recorded 18 gold and 5 platinum certified albums -- is survived by his wife Debbie and his three children, Robert, Noelle, and Christian.

He hosted "The Andy Williams Show" from 1962-1971. He also hosted the Grammys from 1971-1977.

0926_remembering_andy_williams_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Luz

Thank you TMZ for this video of Moon River. One of my favorites by Andy Williams, replayed it 3 times. Sweet and sour now that he's gone. May he rest in peace.

Damonsgrl

Moon river, one of the most fantastic and magical songs of all time

voiceofreason

RIP. I used to love his variety show as a kid. He used to have this man dressed as a bear and it was hilarious! I wonder what ever happened to his twin nephews Andy and David Williams, they used to be a Tiger Beat fixture back in the early 70's.

MasterTech

Unless you are over 50 you just can't have a clear grasp on the loss and the immensity of talent, entertainment, Love and genuine sweetness that Andy Williams and his family, and his extended family of talented actors, singers and stars that he generated in person and all over the world through the 11 or 12 Christmas Shows he was televised in, for and over the 9 years his show was on TV and the 3 or more years after the show was cancelled that NBC was wise enough to get him to do each of those by "POPULAR DEMAND" Christmas's.

I have wished for many years that Andy Williams, or whom ever has the rights to those shows would release a digitally re-mastered BOX set in DVD format or even a non digitally re-mastered box set of every Christmas Show that Andy did on Television and or off of television. My mom loved and played Andy Williams Records for years and I grew up loving his music wether it was Christmas music or summer, autumn, or movie themes...Favorite song: We're Almost there, We're Almost There...In Paradise...So Rare!!! Well, Andy, I know your there and If I can't find you when I get there, I'll come find you...Untill we ARE almost there!!! I've dreaded this day comming when Andy would pass away but as a Christian I look foward to hearing him again in praise to GOD

MasterTech

I am so glad that TMZ didn't try hounding Andy Williams like they do to so many celebs...Have some of Andy's class TMZ, quietly offer his family the opportunity to speak, only when they choose to or if they choose not to speak to any one...it is a super super deep loss that can take a year or two to even be ready to come out of the deep loss

Diane Enright

Diane Enright Andy Williams was my mother's absolute favorite singer of all time. When she died at the age of 40 in 1973 her last request was to play Andy Williams music at her funeral. My older 14-year old sister made sure the funeral home played the music for everyone who came to say good-bye. Well Andy, you can finally meet your biggest fan. May you Rest in Peace.

missylizzy

RIP Andy. I know you loved golfing, so I hope you've gone to the Great Golf Course in the sky! Thanks for giving us some wonderful songs to remember you by!

melliemel

So sad. I really liked Andy Williams and his dancing bear. RIP

Donna

Watching the "Andy Williams" show my Dad used to tease me because I had such a crush on him...not the Osmonds like most of my girlfriends. When I was 7 1/2 monthe pregnant I was at his Christmas show in Detroit & had to use the 'ladies room" during intermission. Super LONG line, and then to my amazement there was a tap on my shoulder. It was one of Mr. Williams assistants asking if I wanted to use a private restroom....WOW. Heaven gained a ANGEL. RIP.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6