Kramer to Seinfeld:

I Learned My Lesson

After N-Word Meltdown

9/28/2012 7:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

092812_richards_launch_v2
Michael Richards is telling Jerry Seinfeld ... he's still pretty damaged from the fall-out of his infamous N-word laced tirade at the "Laugh Factory" ... and refuses to return to the comedy stage ... but insists he has learned his lesson.

TMZ posted the shocking video back in Nov. 2006 -- when the former "Seinfeld" star repeatedly pointed to an African-American heckler and called him a "n**ger" while in the middle of his comedy set.

At one point, Richards even said, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

But in a brand new interview on Jerry Seinfeld's Crackle TV show, "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee," Richards opens up about the incident, telling Jerry he's finally learned that entertainment is all about the audience ... not about the performer.

"Now that’s a lesson I learned 7 years ago when I blew it in the comedy club and lost my temper because somebody interrupted my act and said some things that hurt me and I lashed out in anger."

"I took it too personally ... and I should have just said, 'Yeah you're absolutely right. I'm not funny ... I'll go home work on my material and I'll see you tomorrow night.'"

Richards also says he "busted up" after the incident ... and hasn't performed a comedy act since. He also thanked Jerry for sticking by his side throughout the years ... saying, "[Your support] meant a lot to me."

goodbye

I hope it didn't take him 7 years to learn this valuable (common sense) lesson.

Sniklefritz

Ok I think it's time to cut him some slack. We have all had those times where our emotions take the better of us. I feel the word was extremely inappropriate, but that being said he is sorry. Move on!

Jen

WHO CARES!!! IT IS CALLED FREEDOM OF SPEECH. ALL RACES CAN MAKE FUN OF WHITE PEOPLE AND NOTHING HAPPENS, BUT GOD FORBID IF A WHITE PERSON SAYS ANYTHING. WHOS RACIST NOW, WHITE PEOPLE NO LONGER HAVE CHANCE IN THIS WORLD.......

Buffy Dibiase

And thousands of years ago we'd have you building the pyramids with a fork up your a.s. LOL, I live how they say the pyramids are so advanced that the aliens created it, instead of just keeping it real and admitting that the black race enslaved the hell out of whites to make them

awesomewave

His buttocks are sublime!

Barb

Hey, TMZ. Thanks for this piece. I hadn't heard of Crackle TV, so I checked out Jerry's video "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" interview with Michael Richards. Great interview. Michael should throw that baggage into the Pacific Ocean and come back to the comedy world. Hey, everyone f*ks up! And, thanks Jerry for a great piece.

john johnson

fvck you richards, and fvck ur boi jerry. u STILL a racist, and yo ass is toast if i see you around......COUNT ON IT!!

Smarg

Deep down, most white folks know Richards was correct during his 'meltdown'.

Go, Kramer. You'll always be our hero.

tellmeaboutit

I love Michael Richards and all that was a long time ago. I'll take that kind of thing more seriously when others like Chris Rock stop saying all kinds of things against whites in his act, and rappers show some respect to women in their songs and videos.
The jackass hecklers deserve a nice slice of the blame too, thinking they can bag on him and yell whatever they like to him while he's performing and then play the race card when it goes south. I'll continue to be a fan of Michael's now and in the future. And good for Jerry Seinfeld for sticking with him too.

Joao

"... because somebody interrupted my act and said some things that hurt ME" Yep, sounds like a convoluted apology [i.e. explanation] of a nutcase who still hasn't taken ownership of his behavior. Dude, you're washed up anyway.... salvage whatever is salvageable and move on. Seinfeld was only funny to the initiated who drank the Kool-Aid.

J

This topic shows that EVERYONE that agrees or has sympathy for Richards comments or for the man himself is a filthy ignorant racist yourself! No debate you are a a racist. He was wrong you know it! Let's stop bull****ting and trying to compare his comments to someone else.why is it whenever some white guy says some racist comment the other idiots come on here and compare what he says to some black guys comment that in the end was nowhere near that bad or racist. A real man doesn't make excuses for himself or others, if the person said something wrong then it's wrong it doesn't matter what anyone else said that was bad too. It proved he was racist and ya want proof listen to the rant you liars. If any of you ever think America is past racism this topic is all the proof you need to know it is not.

5Louie

I smell a reuion in the air.

Spicy mag

Comedians should never apologize. If anything he should have worked the incident into new material. Fail.

ME

I cannot watck black comedians. Everyone of them is a race routine, usually about you white people...Michael Richards was out of line, But IMO black people as a whole are more racist. Difference is they know they can get away with it more.

ME

Why does Mitt Romney carry 0% 0% 0% of the black vote? Is Obama really been that great? I would like to point out the big Elephant in the room...Would some Black...sorry ( African Americans ) like to tell us why?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments