Kramer to Seinfeld:

I Learned My Lesson

After N-Word Meltdown

9/28/2012 7:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

092812_richards_launch_v2
Michael Richards is telling Jerry Seinfeld ... he's still pretty damaged from the fall-out of his infamous N-word laced tirade at the "Laugh Factory" ... and refuses to return to the comedy stage ... but insists he has learned his lesson.

TMZ posted the shocking video back in Nov. 2006 -- when the former "Seinfeld" star repeatedly pointed to an African-American heckler and called him a "n**ger" while in the middle of his comedy set.

At one point, Richards even said, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

But in a brand new interview on Jerry Seinfeld's Crackle TV show, "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee," Richards opens up about the incident, telling Jerry he's finally learned that entertainment is all about the audience ... not about the performer.

"Now that’s a lesson I learned 7 years ago when I blew it in the comedy club and lost my temper because somebody interrupted my act and said some things that hurt me and I lashed out in anger."

"I took it too personally ... and I should have just said, 'Yeah you're absolutely right. I'm not funny ... I'll go home work on my material and I'll see you tomorrow night.'"

Richards also says he "busted up" after the incident ... and hasn't performed a comedy act since. He also thanked Jerry for sticking by his side throughout the years ... saying, "[Your support] meant a lot to me."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

A1A

Oh come on, blacks are far more racist than whites and say far more racist things about whites than he said about blacks. Give me a break, get over your stupid white guilt and realize who really is racist and who isn't.

Thespacebtweenthewaterandmyass

This shouldn't of stopped him.

myopinion

wow... i had no idea he said that during a comedy act...well he deserves what he got!

MigoBoi

Katt Williams "Seinfeld, IS THIS YOUR SHIIIT ???"

edpal

I think we all lose our tempers and DO say things like that. He keep it personal and directly on the heckler. He didn't point around the room and scream at every black person there. His use of the word was correct for the situation - an adult comedy club where it is typically no-holds-barred. It's obviously still a one-way street, which helps to keep racism more alive than anything a comedian could yell at a single heckler ever could.

Chris

I was at a comedy club in LA when Paul Rooney came on stage and was 100 times more racist that what MR did. NO exaggeration ... Horribly offensive...

Candace

Disingenuous. I'm a huge Seinfeld fan, never saw the clip until tonite. Shocking. And his "apology" falls extremely short of what is required, a true ammends to the man in the audience, and to the audience. His behaviour deplorable, and the apology, he still thinks its about him. Very sad, and I'm white.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6