'Steel Magnolias' Producer

Lifetime Remake

Is RIPPING Me Off

10/1/2012 6:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1001_steel_magnolias_lifetimeThe woman who produced the disgustingly sappy tearjerker, "Steel Magnolias" is suing over the upcoming Lifetime TV remake of the film -- claiming she's not getting the credit or the cash she deserves.

Victoria L. White -- executive producer of the 1989 film starring Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton, and Shirley MacLaine -- filed suit today against Sony Pictures and Lifetime Television ... producers of the new TV movie starring Queen Latifah and Phylicia Rashad.

In the documents, White claims she has a "Television agreement" that entitles her to a co-producer or co-executive producer credit on any TV project based on her hit film.

According to the suit, White also says she's entitled to some cash for the Lifetime remake -- including a $15,000 fee, plus up to 3.75% of net profits from the movie.

White further alleges Sony is fully aware of her TV deal ... because it gave her a co-producer credit and compensation the first time this happened. For those who don't remember (as in all of us), there was already a 1992 CBS TV movie based on "Steel Magnolias."

White is suing for compensation on the Lifetime remake -- and she wants an injunction to stop the film from airing ... unless she gets her on-screen credit. The movie is scheduled to air Oct. 7.

Here's what we can't figure ... why is this movie still being remade?

23-year spoiler alert: the chick with diabetes dies.

Ashley

The reason remakes are made is to profit from the all ready popular movie with the current population which is so much more than how many people were in the world back then.

Just Me

The original movie was perfect. I don't want to see it remade with any new cast....neither white, black, or purple. LEAVE IT ALONE!

Francine Burris

She's White, in more ways than one, so in this country that means she has no rights.

Gina

The woman should get her money...they didn't even change the title for heaven's sake!! I was bothered as to why this was disturbing me as I am definitely not racist. I think it is becaus the story was about white, southern women, (hence the reference to Magnolias), and that particular culture. Just like Tyler Perry's movies are about black culture. I love Tyler Perry stories, but they wouldn't be the same with white actors. It isn't about racism, just about accepting the differences in culture and sharing them in film.

delores fowler

WOW talk about messed up this one is the least they could have done was rename the show it wasn't a great movie the first time but now its going to be the worst

boochie

What next, an all-white version of Raisin in the Sun or the Jeffersons?

boochie

What next, an all-white version of Raisin in the Sun or the Jeffersons?

Jett

I guess y'all don't remember "The Wiz", either.

Kowny Krush

De movie is bein remades because dey gots to habb a black one now!!

ANGELS

I AM DISCUSTED WITH THE REMAKE OF STEEL MAGNOLIAS! THAT WAS THE ABSOLUTE WORST REMAKE MOVIE IN HISTORY & WHO WOULD WANT TO BE KNOWN FOR WRITTING THAT BS! I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE HOLLYWOOD IS THAT DAMN BRAIN DEAD & CANT THINK UP NEW STUFF! WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO REMAKE NEXT? "E-T",THEY ARE NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF OVERPAID IDIOTS! THEY SHOULD BURN THIS REMAKE & NEVER TALK ABOUT IT AGAIN!!!

ANGELS

WORST REMAKE MOVIE IN HISTORY!!! THE BIG STICK OUT BLOOPER BESIDES THE WHOLE MOVIE WAS "I HELD HER HAND TILL THE END",NO SHE DID NOT SHE RUBBED HER ARM & LEG! THIS MOVIE WAS A JOKE & THE WORST WRITTING & ACTING,DIRECTING JOB EVER & IF I WERE LIFETIME,I WOULD BURN IT & NEVER TALK ABOUT IT AGAIN!!! NASTY ASS BAD MOVIE! YOU DONT MESS WITH BRILLIANCE & THE REAL DEAL WAS TOP SHELF TOP OF THE LINE IN EVERY ASPECT OF MAKING A MOVIE! WHATS HOLLYWOOD COMING TO WITH SUCH TRASH!!! SO DEAD IN THE HEAD CANT THINK UP ANYTHING GOOD ANYMORE? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO NEXT? "REMAKE E.T."...

amy

I caught about 10 minutes of this remake and it sucked. They need to stop remaking things and leave well enough alone.

nancy

This old white woman loved the movie.

Rain

What a rip off! I am not suprised, though...the original movie was a classic, and if I am not mistaken, it was up for an academy award...then these rejects have to come along and take it away. I have seen the advertisements for this wanna be replica and they are even using "Pink is my signature color" so...she should sue and she should win! Leave it to the blacks to steal something, and ask questions later....they seem to think that they are exempt from the rules....like always. God forbid someone remake a black movie with all whites! All hell would break lose and there would be Al Sharpton and his gang of race baiters jumping on the discrimination band wagon. This is just pathetic. It will never be even half as good as the original movie, not even close! I hope you win the suit and the show gets canceled! Playing by the rules applies to EVERYONE!

Rain

I am going to remake "White Man Can't Jump" and call it "Black women can't write their own movies, so they steal whiteys movie and call it their own"