Anderson Cooper

Rips Star Jones

Gay Announcement Was No Ratings Ploy

10/4/2012 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

100412_cooper

Anderson Cooper just BLASTED Star Jones ... claiming the former "View" host was talking out of her lying, irrelevant ass when she claimed Anderson's gay announcement was a ratings ploy.

Cooper was shooting a segment of "Anderson Live" with Bravo bigshot Andy Cohen ... when Cohen asked A.C. if he felt any different after coming out publicly back in July.

That's when Anderson dropped the truth bomb:

"I will say and I actually haven't mentioned this, the only thing that did kind of annoy me and actually it annoyed my mom who brought it up to me, Star Jones of all people."

He continued, "I haven't thought about Star Jones in I don't know how long. I was unaware she was even on TV still ... but she apparently shows up on a morning show."

"Out of the blue Star Jones ... said this was a ratings ploy by me to boost ratings."

On the show, which airs today, Cooper says Jones couldn't have been more wrong -- 'cause he was on assignment in Africa when he decided to quietly make the announcement in an email to a journalist friend, who posted the letter online.

"If I was wanting to boost ratings, I would have waited to announce it on 'A Very Special Episode' that would have been promo'd for weeks and weeks and there would have been commercials ... 'Anderson's Huge Announcement.'"

"As memory serves, in terms of boosting ratings, I seem to recall [Star] hocking her wedding every single day to get free products when she was on 'The View' and I seem to recall her lying about her gastric bypass surgery and making everybody else lie about it as well. So for her to suddenly emerge out of the shadows and suddenly attack me for this, I couldn't believe it."

Cooper says he invited Star to his show to discuss her comments, but she turned him down.

"I would think she would want as much publicity as possible given her penchant for wanting publicity."

Snap.

Aquarianne17

Well done, Mr. Cooper!

AreUCrazy

I honestly thought he came out years ago. I was surprised this article says it was only July. I know I've known for years.. crazy!

CC

I hear Africa is a good place to be a gay. Now the question is how long until AC comes out he's HIV positive?

jim

It sure was for rating s

Kris Jenner and Kim K = money hungry plastic sellouts.

the nerve of that bitch. like cooper said, and i remember this too, she would talk non stop about her stupid ass wedding just to get FREE gifts. this bitch needs to sit the **** down.
she's just sooo hurt that she got cheated on with another man. hahahaha

Observer999

Anderson Cooper is a class act; Star Jones is a greedy pig. Nuff said.

JDUB

I would believe Anderson way before I would believe Star Jones. It has been known Anderson is gay for a long time, he just never shoved it in anyone's face, and he probably just decided come out to set the record straight (no pun intended).

Raymond

Lol@Anderson "keeping them honest".

Shouldn't feel so butthurt (no pun intended) though about random dumbness. We've come a long way since Rock Hudson plus he's in media. So what gives?

While at it, he could improve on that face he's consistently making during shows just before a clip starts to roll. That slightly forced stern look doesn't feel natural.

Chase

Ever since Star married a gay man, she's had a vendetta against the gay community. Could she be any less relevant?

Tammy

I don't see the big deal when it was flamboyantly obvious that Anderson is a homosexual.

GOLLY

sex is a choice, who you have sex with is a choice. I don't want to hear about anyones sex life. Stop (forgive the pun) shoving your sexuality down our throats.

Judy

Good for you Anderson Cooper. I love you and your show. I never did care for Star Jones. For awhile I quit watching The View because of Star. Who cares if your gay or straight makes no different to me. I also watch your CNN Show. Keep up the good work. And keep Star Jones off your show.

Mike

As a straight man comfortable with my sexuality....I have nothing but love for AC! My disdain for Star Jones......probably as much as it can possibly be! Go get her AC!

nicaw

I guess folks misjudged Anderson Cooper and thought he was a door mat. Good for him for putting Star Jones on blast.

There sure is a lot of "pot calling the kettle black" business going on. If you have skeletons in your closet, it's best to keep your mouth shut.

cindy

Anderson Cooper is so gross... I love how we are all supposed to be so supportive of gays when they come out and then act all surprise they announce they have AIDS.. as someone who works in the healthfield in San Fran, I can tell you the gay lifestyle is not the pleasant couple they would have you believe. Most gays are on meth and are more promiscious than a rabbit. Its a sick lifestyle and shoving it down peoples throat on every tv show is not helping its cause. Just go away.