Anderson Cooper

Rips Star Jones

Gay Announcement Was No Ratings Ploy

10/4/2012 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

100412_cooper

Anderson Cooper just BLASTED Star Jones ... claiming the former "View" host was talking out of her lying, irrelevant ass when she claimed Anderson's gay announcement was a ratings ploy.

Cooper was shooting a segment of "Anderson Live" with Bravo bigshot Andy Cohen ... when Cohen asked A.C. if he felt any different after coming out publicly back in July.

That's when Anderson dropped the truth bomb:

"I will say and I actually haven't mentioned this, the only thing that did kind of annoy me and actually it annoyed my mom who brought it up to me, Star Jones of all people."

He continued, "I haven't thought about Star Jones in I don't know how long. I was unaware she was even on TV still ... but she apparently shows up on a morning show."

"Out of the blue Star Jones ... said this was a ratings ploy by me to boost ratings."

On the show, which airs today, Cooper says Jones couldn't have been more wrong -- 'cause he was on assignment in Africa when he decided to quietly make the announcement in an email to a journalist friend, who posted the letter online.

"If I was wanting to boost ratings, I would have waited to announce it on 'A Very Special Episode' that would have been promo'd for weeks and weeks and there would have been commercials ... 'Anderson's Huge Announcement.'"

"As memory serves, in terms of boosting ratings, I seem to recall [Star] hocking her wedding every single day to get free products when she was on 'The View' and I seem to recall her lying about her gastric bypass surgery and making everybody else lie about it as well. So for her to suddenly emerge out of the shadows and suddenly attack me for this, I couldn't believe it."

Cooper says he invited Star to his show to discuss her comments, but she turned him down.

"I would think she would want as much publicity as possible given her penchant for wanting publicity."

Snap.

Terry

Snap...Star Jones...I love it..Andersons' mother "Gloria Vanderbilt" asks Anderson "Who is Star Jones?" Priceless! No Star, (who is named "Star"?) Gloria Vanderbilt, of THE VANDERBILTS, doesn't know who your ugly ass is! LOL! People forget how down to earth Anderson is especially considering his family tree. His great grandmother was Gertrude Vanderbilt, a reigning Queen of the Golden Age elite. A Queen want to be; "Star", has lost all MY respect.

soobeedoo

Who's the other guy that won't shut the hell up??!!!!!!

msdawndawn

Anderson - I don't even watch your show. I don't even like Star Jones. BUT I do know - everything & anything that entertainers do is for ratings or a "look at me" moment. Do you think your audience is that stupid? Maybe they are. Stop whining!! You only came out when you knew it was safe to do so & rating were slumped. Even a moron (like Jones) can see 2+2=4.

VictoriaGirl

Anderson Cooper is a very intelligent person who is also a well respected journalist and people actually like him. Jones is an idiot who no one likes and her only claim to fame is that she used to be a co-host on a daytime talk show. Thats it. She's clearly jealous of Cooper.

saynotolies

Good for you Anderson! What a bitch!!!! I think she's the one looking for "ratings"...she wants people to start talking about her again...Can't stand that woman!!

Mazor

Star Jones is a disgusting piece of sh*t with acres of loose skin hanging off her horrible ugly body.

That is all.

Mike44090

Did ya see Star Jones reply to Anderson via twitter :)
>>Star Jones ‏@StarJonesEsq
I was wrong. @andersoncooper didn't come out as a ratings ploy. He used ME talking about him coming out @todayshow as a ratings ploy. #mybad
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Sandela

Who cares? Why do people "announce" they are gay? People do not announce they are straight.

Carol L

Star strikes me as a very sad and miserable person. Which is probably why she spouted off. Miserable people like to make others feel the same.

tucker

Star is just mad cause Anderson gets better looking gay guys than the gay guy she married.

Don Martin

Another irrelevant story with a gay theme. What the hell does sexual orientation have to do with the broadcast business unless Cooper is going to give a live demonstration on his show? No one watches CNN anyway so what is the issue?

lance

Star Jones apparently is so irrelevant , she feels the need to lash out and try to become relevant ! She is a disgrace, with no class, lots of personal issues and needs help to get rid of that egotististical complex like she did to the blubber on her!

Steve

These two catty "women" bring gay rights back a decade. Shame on both of them for fostering hate and bullying . . .

peachpie

I don't follow anderson cooper. According to television "I should" I seem to remeber knowing he is gay for several years now, and if i know, evrybody knows . He should concentrate on making a good show . Everybody annouces they are gay like it's some sort of incentive to watch their program. Evidently it does'nt make any difference because his show is just as crappy and exploitive as the rest. The more i see of him the less impressed i am. I love, love, love his mother Gloria Vanderbilt her jeans were a game changer in the 70's and eighties. Real Talent.

Thomas Jefferson