Anderson Cooper

Rips Star Jones

Gay Announcement Was No Ratings Ploy

10/4/2012 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

100412_cooper

Anderson Cooper just BLASTED Star Jones ... claiming the former "View" host was talking out of her lying, irrelevant ass when she claimed Anderson's gay announcement was a ratings ploy.

Cooper was shooting a segment of "Anderson Live" with Bravo bigshot Andy Cohen ... when Cohen asked A.C. if he felt any different after coming out publicly back in July.

That's when Anderson dropped the truth bomb:

"I will say and I actually haven't mentioned this, the only thing that did kind of annoy me and actually it annoyed my mom who brought it up to me, Star Jones of all people."

He continued, "I haven't thought about Star Jones in I don't know how long. I was unaware she was even on TV still ... but she apparently shows up on a morning show."

"Out of the blue Star Jones ... said this was a ratings ploy by me to boost ratings."

On the show, which airs today, Cooper says Jones couldn't have been more wrong -- 'cause he was on assignment in Africa when he decided to quietly make the announcement in an email to a journalist friend, who posted the letter online.

"If I was wanting to boost ratings, I would have waited to announce it on 'A Very Special Episode' that would have been promo'd for weeks and weeks and there would have been commercials ... 'Anderson's Huge Announcement.'"

"As memory serves, in terms of boosting ratings, I seem to recall [Star] hocking her wedding every single day to get free products when she was on 'The View' and I seem to recall her lying about her gastric bypass surgery and making everybody else lie about it as well. So for her to suddenly emerge out of the shadows and suddenly attack me for this, I couldn't believe it."

Cooper says he invited Star to his show to discuss her comments, but she turned him down.

"I would think she would want as much publicity as possible given her penchant for wanting publicity."

Snap.

Val

Star is just a dumb ass ! Nothing more needs to be said....

fstblk

Star should shut her wanna stay skinny ass up. Anderson Cooper can just keep a job longer then she ever has.She claimed she did'nt know her man was gay.Hell,she should've figured that out when he did'nt want to even lay by the pool with her.Star you are a NOBODY!!!!

Bitch, please.

Yay Anderson! You go, girl!!!

Sandra

I"m with Anderson!! Star Jones is so desperate for attention her big mouth runs all over the place making her look like a stupid fool!!

MOTHEROFGOD

Anderson Cooper is a kick@$$ reporter! Long before "AC 360..." we was in war zones BY HIMSELF, filming what was happening. He was being shot at and he even went as far as having fake reporter badges made. How many people these days would go to those lengths? Not many. Gay or straight, he's awesome in my book and I loved his reporting days/weeks/months after Hurricane Katrina! Keep 'em honest, Andy! :)

Onward

I'm pretty sure Anderson Cooper didn't say anything about Star Jones "hocking" her wedding; he knows it's spelled "hawking." Only TMZ routinely spells it incorrectly.. "Hawking" = selling. "Hocking" = pawning something at a pawn shop.

James

Anderson is a tired old queen, Mama's boy. What's the deal with is boyfriend kissing another guy? I don't blame the boyfriend. Anderson looks like a seagull.

LUCKY

It was for ratings anderson...im a gay male that has been watching you on cnn since 2004 and you never mentioned it and as soon as you go mainstream tv,you're all of a sudden gay ;)

Cowgirl

Does anyone know if Robin Roberts and Sam Champion are gay (GMA)? Always wondered

kerrplunk

Both of you just go away

ProudCanuck

No worries, AC! Those smart enough to see you for the authentic, compassionate, awesome person that you are know your true motivation for what you do. I thought that when Star joined that morning show in a somewhat regular role, that she had finally found something that she actually knew about, even though she's snarky to the other professionals from time to time. It could be a play for ratings herself since that morning show is struggling in the ratings themselves and she needs to feel secure in her spot there. Your true fans know the real reasons for your announcement and see her for her pitiful, insecure self.

UNLV1990

First, star is correct. Second, everybody knew he was gay, just look at him. Third, I would rather watch Star, at least she doesn't act like what she does matters.

Clytemnestra

Andy is absoultely right-on in his comments: he called Jones dead to rights, and now she doesn't even have the nerve to come on his show and defend herself (oh, that's right, she's been caught again being stupid) and has no legitimate way to defend her pathetic comments. She's just bitter because she married a gay man after broadcasting the coupling to the world. I'd probably have a chip on my shoulder about gays, too, if that happened to me.

heather

Anderson cooper is amazing and has really impressed me. He's sincere and a class act.
Star hate gay men because he husband turned out to be one:)

Juan Valdez

Oooohh how delicious. Anderson Cooper in a cat fight.