Big Bird to Mitt Romney

Thanks for the Shoutout!

(Even Though You Want Me Dead)

10/4/2012 9:24 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1004_big_bird_mitt_romney
Big Bird
and the rest of the fine people at Sesame Street don't give two craps about Mitt Romney's politics -- but they're PUMPED he gave BB a shoutout during last night's Presidential debate ... despite the whole "Death to PBS" thing.

Sesame Street released a statement this morning following Romney's Big Bird reference, saying, "Sesame Workshop is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, educational organization. We do not comment on campaigns, but we're happy we can all agree that everyone likes Big Bird."

In case you missed the debate last night, Romney mentioned Big Bird in reference to cutting PBS funding in order to save government money.

Romney said, "I'm going to stop the subsidy to PBS ... I like PBS. I love Big Bird. But I'm not going to keep spending money on things to borrow money from China to pay for it."

A rep for Sesame Street -- which has been a partner of PBS for 43 years -- says the show relies on PBS to distribute its commercial-free programming to children. In other words, no PBS ... no Sesame Street.

The CEO of PBS Paula Kerger told CNN this morning, "With the enormous problems facing the country, the fact that we are the focus is unbelievable to me. We are America’s biggest classroom, we touch children across the country in every home."

Long story short, Romney wants to kill Big Bird.

Alrac

Sesame Street is non-partisan?? Please. I did not let my son watch it 5 years ago when he was 3. I watched it when I was a kid, and believe me, it's NOT the same as it was. I honestly do not watch PBS, only because their programming does not interest me and their telethons aggravate me. I am voting for Romney, don't care if he pulls the funding. Our country needs help, which is a much bigger problem than Big Bird. Sorry.

LAE

Seriously with the title of your story! He never said he wanted BB dead. PBS takes a small fraction of govt money the rest is supported by the public. "PUBLIC BROADCASTING". GO ROMNEY

Paul

This is why liberals should not be allowed in charge of the economy. They think if PBS gets its funding reduced they'll have to cancel the only profitable show they have.

Lou

I agree with Romney.. let PBS get its money to air their programs like every other station. Why should the feel like they`re better then anyone else . Most of the time the air programs that lean left... ands thats why they get the money. I just don`t want my dollars going to them!

art vandelay

$30 for an Elmo doll. $15 for a Sesame Street DVD. Sesame Street, Elmo, Bid Bird, etc are a popular and lucrative brand and I would think they make a lot of money labeling toys, dvds, dolls, cups, spoons,shirts, etc... plus selling their programming to other channels. Why cant this revenue and private donations allow them to operate independently from taxpayer assistance?

art vandelay

Zak

Romney can't just appeal 4 years of what Obama has done & not even provide an alternative. Romney was vague in all his responses and could only seem to bash Obama. How is that going to help anything? He wants to cut PBS because of the spending? How random are retarded could you possibly be? Romney OWNS factories in China and we as a nation are so economically ****ed Romney is not looking out

Throwback kid

It's OK Obama, even though Romney made you look like an incompetent fool last night, George Clooney, Eva Longoria and Jay Z all think you are still wonderful. It's the rest of America that now think you can't talk without your teleprompter and have no idea how to create jobs. When was the last time Obama took that kind of beating? If it was a fight they would have stopped it and raised Romney's hand in victory

JDoors

Oh for Pete's sake. Sesame St. Gets almost none of their funding from the Fed (like one percent). PBS gets like 25% of theirs from the Fed. Nobody's shutting down anything, they'll just jack up the already annoying number of commercials and merchandizing to cover the difference. We don't need Federal funding to get children's, science or political coverage any more, we have 300 channels to choose from, and even with OTA broadcasts, the last time I checked, I had thirty channels to choose from. This ain't the 1960...'s with just three channels.

gutsygirl

Well...well...well...looky here. 14 hours later, Harv & Co. finally acknowledge the debate. Didn't take nearly as long to post the Eastwood story. Clint is a visionary.

Glory Bee

Who doesn't lke Big bird!? But it's typical that when we are drowning in debt the lib media cries "But what about Big Bird". Seriously? Non partisian? PBS is DEEP into the lib agenda and YES even Sesame Street pushes that agenda along with the ABCs and 123s. Stop funding the Socialist Agenda. Even Karl Marx stated that in order for socialism to work they had to have a huge CAPITALIST generated purse to "jump start" the system. And PBS sure exemplifies that doesn't it!

Hemingway

Romney wants to kill Big Bird. Here is Romney's new political ad!

CelebJustice

BWAHAHA!!! Is that the best you could do TMZ? Your Socialist in chief BOMBED!
Freaking Liberals are crapping themselves!

Umm ok...

Take away the teleprompter & the cheering, brainwashed crowd...and this is what you have left. I guess golf outings, entertainment show appearances & ignoring 60% of intelligence briefings aren't the best way to prepare for a Presidential Debate. I saw one man speak like a President last night, and his name is Mitt Romney.

Gemma

23 Million people out of work, $16 Trillian deficits and all Liberals and TMZ get out of the debate is "Save Big Bird" with taxpayer money and pay China. WOW and who is out of touch. Liberal/Obama priorities are Big Bird.... what a joke.