LeVar Burton OUTRAGED

Over Romney PBS Attack --

He's Destroying Our Kids!

10/4/2012 11:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1004_levar_burton_article_logo_getty
Former "Reading Rainbow" host LeVar Burton is PISSED after Mitt Romney threatened to cut PBS funding last night -- telling TMZ, Romney would be stealing an invaluable educational resource from underprivileged children.

LeVar tells us, "I am personally outraged that any serious contender for the White House would target as part of his campaign the children of America in this fashion."

"Educators across the country, as well as millions of children and adults know that the programming on PBS has been responsible for significant improvements in education, literacy, math, science and life skills for generations of our children."

In case you missed the Presidential debate, Mitt promised to cut funding to PBS claiming it isn't an essential government expense -- but LeVar's firing back, claiming, "PBS represents .00016% of our nation's budget, yet this free resource benefits kids across all economic circumstances."

He adds, "Defunding PBS directly punishes the less fortunate by removing this trusted and extraordinary educational resource available to all."

"On behalf of America's children, I can't stay silent. I encourage you to join me in fighting this short-sighted and frankly mean-spirited attack on our children."

VICKY

PLEASE LEVAR....YOU OBVIOUSLY SUPPORT OBAMA, SO PLEASE GET THE FACTS RIGHT. PBS WILL NOT GO OFF THE AIR. GOVT FUNDING WILL BE CUT SLIGHTLY, WITH PBS FAITHFUL GIVING THEIR USUAL SUPPORT WILL MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE. PBS AND BIG BIRD WILL LIVE ON FOREVER!!

Irony Tag

Federal spending only accounts for 19% of PBS's budget. That money would be better spent on any number of programs that would help people get through these bad economic times.

Besides, it would get politicians out of PBS and their programming.

Jay W.

I need my handouts. I need my phone... OBAMA 2012.

Cheryl A.

I know the Chief Engineer of our local PBS TV and radio stations and have gone to Atlanta and seen the enormous, glass building they just had built recently. They used to do fund raisers every April, now it's every other month. They truly do NOT need the government money.

Umm ok...

News Flash: We are $16 TRILLION in debt & are now supporting 47 MILLION people on food stamps!! This country needs JOBS and we must make cuts to spending! We MUST MAKE CUTS or we will turn into Greece or Spain. I fully expect liberals across the board to be kicking & screaming as the "freebie" cuts need to be made. But the truth of the matter is, the federal government is well on it's way to being broke & Americans are going to have to toughen up and fix this mess!

GoodOnPaper

and why exactly can't they pay for their own broadcasting? ever other station does. get over it people! romney isn't AXING IT! he's just not going to funnel taxpayer $$ to it anymore.

Kimberly

Seriously...after that entire debate people are fired up because of the Big Bird comment??? Check your facts in terms of what Obama is looking at doing. He has implemented regulations that will stall our economy and have devistating effects on our financial system. Forced insurance on our nation leading to higher premiums, lack of doctors, and lack of quality medical care. Spending is completely out of control and he has offered NOTHING in terms of fixing it besides empty promises. Look at what is going on...promises are not going to help you. Really you are worried about big bird with our nation in the state that it is in. I assure you Sesame Street is not going to educate our children. I watched Mr. Burton's programs as a kid but I am not about to give him credit for educating me. Thanks goes to my parents and the great teachers I had!!!

Mike

Oh Levar. The point was about evaluating and funding programs which we are borrowing money from other countries to pay for. It's a legitimate point. As far as PBS, there is NO reason it can't survive without taxpayer money. Granted, I think it's a worthy cause but his comments shouldn't be spun to be a war on children. Look at the big picture.

hahahaha

if the government funding is so little then what does it matter if they cut it? #dumbass

LiLo's boy toy

When PBS started it was funded by donation drives, go back to it. If your as important as you think you are then the public will to and they will donate if not, to bad bye bye.

Kimberly

Seriously...after that entire debate people are fired up because of the Big Bird comment??? Check your facts in terms of what Obama is looking at doing. He has implemented regulations that will stall our economy and have devistating effects on our financial system. Forced insurance on our nation leading to higher premiums, lack of doctors, and lack of quality medical care. Spending is completely out of control and he has offered NOTHING in terms of fixing it besides empty promises. Look at what is going on...promises are not going to help you. Really you are worried about big bird with our nation in the state that it is in. I assure you Sesame Street is not going to educate our children. I watched Mr. Burton's programs as a kid but I am not about to give him credit for educating me. Thanks and credit go to my parents and great teachers!!!

Eric in L.A.

Romney just tells everybody what they want to hear in public. In private he is honest and says he doesn't car about the Poorest 47% of Americans. Which include the military men & women are in that 47%. Lie, Lie, Lie to get in and do what you want once you get elected.

DaveT

Hahaha...Bullsh-t :D
PBS are a bunch of very rich elitist far-left liberal snobs who make million$ off the big yellow bird and merchandise.
PBS channel = 70% pledge and fund drives to increase profits, 30% actual programming.
...."and here we are folks presenting you with yet another fund drive, if you'll just "donate" $300, we'll send you a FREE copy of this $5 DVD"...
PBS is also funded by the government, by the taxpayers...Why?
Why are working moms and dads who can barely afford to buy food for their kids, being forced to send rich PBS far-left liberals their money?
On top of that they pull in million$ of dollars through donations and from special interest groups.
And this is all just distraction anyway, country is in serious trouble but we're being flooded with Big Bird crapola :D

JFO

If Big Bird is the most important issue to come out of that debate we are indeed in trouble as a nation.

tgrfan42069

na **** he is pissed.obama is black and romney is white so of course he will support the black guy.of the whole debate last night romney owned obama on every thing.but all you hear about today in the media is about big bird.the liberal spin machine at work.