Matthew McConaughey

Reduced to Skin & Bones

10/8/2012 4:17 PM PDT BY Johnny Lopez

Matthew McConaughey looks skinny after weight loss.Looking even more emaciated and gaunt than before, a frail Matthew McConaughey was barely recognizable as he -- with the help of his mother Kay -- left a church in Austin this weekend.

As TMZ previously reported, the normally buff and shirtless 42-year-old is wasting away to play Ron Woodruff in the movie "The Dallas Buyer's Club," the true story of a man who contracted HIV through drug use in the '80s and has to smuggle life-saving medications from Mexico.

0824_weight_loss_footer

Bloomcounty.USA

I don't think its wise to do this sort of thing for a motion picture role ... it's extremely dangerous to one's health, and I really don't think it's going to do well at the box office. It's lame to get all emaciated for something like this, if the writing and character development is "good" then it shouldn't require all these bells and whistles.

sammi

I'm sorry but this is" gone to far", Mathew this can't be good for your body and you need to see a doctor before renal failure. Yes, this can happen. Don't listen to Hollywood your health is not worth it.

Janeylaur

How come the movie industry doesn't just air brush Matthew during the filming so he doesn't resort to drastic health measures for a role? Lord knows the technology is out there.

steve

Misleading choice of words by TMZ on Matthew story. I'm pretty sure he didn't need his mothers help walking our from church. You embellishing idiots! He's losing weight for a role not actually dying from HIV.

kimkardashianstalkingass

Guys, don't worry, right after the movie he is going over to Jessica Simpson's house for one weekend - he will gain like 900 pounds in two days.

Ephie

What is he doing? Good looks was all he had! He will still be a terrible actor.

verlinda

Damn...When do they film this movie???????

Mayu

seriously, there would never be a role I'd be willing to risk my health for. He looks absolutely sickly.

cobrazombie

Guess the shirt isn't coming off this time.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

That's frightening. Never suffer for your art. The rewards are never equal to or greater than the cost. The only good thing about this is that Matt's a resilient guy and has a stable family life so he'll be ok.

What You Really Want To See

turn down the role and eat already!

Rhonda C. Poynter

As much as I like MM in small doses, I agree about the health issues...if nobody else has beaten me to quoting this, Sir Laurence Olivier noted that actor Dustin Hoffman had stayed up for 48 hours to appear exhausted and frightened for a specific scene in "Marathon Man". I may be paraphrasing it, but LO basically told Dustin, "You might want to try my method...it's called acting." Matt, get some rest and gain some damned weight!

Rockmelon

If he's so weak that he needs the help of his mother to walk, and he's doing this for a movie.......I'm far from impressed. It's actually disgusting that someone would jeopardize their health and their family unit for $$$$$$$$$

palermo

When you need someone twice your age to hold you up something is desperately wrong

Jen

I find it awful to risk your health for a movie role, absolutely disgusting.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments