« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

'Blazing Saddles' Star

Suffers Kidney Failure,

Days to Live

10/9/2012 5:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0412_alex_karras_blazing_saddles

Alex Karras -- a former NFL superstar turned huge comedy actor -- suffered kidney failure in the last two weeks ... and doctors believe he only has a few days to live.

The 77-year-old has been released from the Santa Monica hospital where he was being treated ... and is now on hospice care at his California home.

Karras recently joined a lawsuit against the NFL, in which he claims he now suffers from dementia as a result of his playing days with the Detroit Lions. He was also diagnosed with cancer.

Karras was a badass -- both on and off the field -- as a huge part of Lions dominant defense in the '60s. He then went on to star as Mongo in "Blazing Saddles" ... one of the greatest comedy movies ever made.

He also appeared on a ton of TV shows, and became a sitcom star on the hit '80s show, "Webster."

The Lions have released a statement about Karras ... saying, "We join his legions of fans from both sports and entertainment in prayer and support for Alex, his wife Susan, and his entire family during this most difficult time."

0412_alex_karras

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Diane

Feel for him and his family. Always liked him on tv and in movies. His possible lawsuit against the NFL, though - a waste of time and money. You play a sport, you know you can get hurt, you play anyway, you accept the consequences. God be with you, Mongo.

Christy

When he played in Detroit my last name was "Karas" and if I had a dime for everytime someone ask me if I was related to him i could retire today....Oh, yeah, I am retired, lol

Carrie

Sorry to hear about Alex Karras but glad to hear that he and his wife Susan Clark are still together.

ragu4u

"Mondo love candy!" CLASSIC
However sad his story seems, a guy just can't sue the NFL because he got knocked around.

Keirie420

Damn sad

Maverick

Mongo only pawn... in game of life.

CLINT

He was also the father figure in the series Webster. But I will always remember him in his post football years as Mongo.

Cochise

Mr. Papadopoulos

anony

In 1963, he and Paul Hornung were suspended for a year from the NFL for being involved with organized crime and gambling.

Keifus E Mathews

This is my favorite movie of all time....I pray for you and your family!! Thank you for making me wanna get into the film business, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers...Gonna pop in the movie now, classic film!!! Take care"Mad duck!! Mongo!!!

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Love him. He's such a good guy and an underrated actor. Not too familiar w/ his football career but anything I'd ever read was positive. I really hope he's at peace with it, and I'm glad he's home with his family.

laffnbear

Yeah, prayer.
That will be a big help.

stu

Webster had kidney issues too.

kate

mongo like candy.

Mag

I was soooo saddened to hear this. He always appeared to be an easy going, down to earth actor/man/athlete. I wish him well.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2