Felix Baumgartner

HE DID IT!!!

Breaks Speed of Sound

10/14/2012 12:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Felix Baumgartner successfully completed his free fall, diving to the Earth's surface from 24 miles up in the air!!!!

Baumgartner at one point fell as fast as Mach 1.24, well above the speed of sound. He did not break the record for longest-lasting free fall, but if the distance holds up to review ... that would be record-setting.

1014_parachute_article
Felix made the jump using only a space suit, helmet and parachute. Before he jumped, he went through a massive checklist while his family watched from the control room in Roswell, New Mexico.

The mission, called Stratos, was sponsored by RedBull and used a helium-filled balloon to carry Felix 24 miles up into the stratosphere (around 128,000 feet) where he made the jump.

Felix was in free-fall for over 4 min and reached speeds of up to 729 mph.

Felix first attempted to launch last Tuesday from Roswell, New Mexico -- but aborted the mission, due to weather conditions.

Jsmiley

ok...

Stacy

Here's to hoping Red Bull give you wings. ...again

Gretel

I skydove once. It was kind of cool, peaceful once you're out of the plane and can't do a damn thing about it. I won't do it again because there was a few seconds of free fall where I thought my heart would stop. I'm sure however this turns out we'll get to see the prime footage, so I'll just watch that.

NOT ELMO

looks fun!....

Andrew

GO FELIX!!!!

Stiletto

Winds can't be more than 2MPH? Good luck with that. I'm still standing by with my 50X50 canvas...if he doesn't make it, I'll have a modern art masteriece up on Ebay...uh..as soon as it dries.

onelove627

What a load of BS....his little 'suit' has all the things a space craft or airplane has in it so he doesn't die. SO he's not really 'skydiving'. Don't cere.

kerrplunk

I can think of a lot of other ways to kill myself.

Mike798

Go Felix!!!! Austrian guys R.O.C.K.!!!

Nancy

I'm amazed there appears to be no telemetry being used--this high-flying daredevil has to report ALL of the data from the cabin to the geezer on the ground!!!! Who approved this lame-brained folly?

Linda Moore

Great coverage,, Harvey!! Thanks!! This is so amazing!!

notta

I don't understand it says he's at 60k feet but he's at 18k miles.

5280 x 18 = 95k

charles

ditto. Thank you Harvey.

Internet Tough Guy

Am I watching this for the triumph or out of morbid curiosity?

notta