« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lance Armstrong

Booted from Nike

Steps Down from Livestrong

10/17/2012 5:57 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1010_lance_armstrong_article
Nike has ended its contract with Lance Armstrong -- claiming the athlete "misled" the company amid allegations of doping.

"Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him," the company says.

Armstrong also announced he will step down as chairman of the Livestrong cancer-fighting charity as of this morning. Nike says they will continue to support the organization.

"To spare the foundation any negative effects as a result of controversy surrounding my cycling career, I will conclude my chairmanship," Armstrong says in a statement.

The move comes a week after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency released a report detailing Armstrong's direct involvement in what it called "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen."

As we previously reported, Lance has been banned from cycling for life ... but he still denies any wrongdoing.

1017_lance_armstrong_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Rhubino

Maybe Sheryl Crow will have you back, Lance. I heard she's will to forgive and forget. Well, forget at least.

STFUP

Cheaters deserve NOTHING.
Play fair or pay the price - BIG.
Lance learned that lesson too late.

writenow

Who knew living strong would involve such a convoluted lifestyle, and massive amounts of Denial. Lance babe, the charade is over. Concentrate on explaining this to your kids. Who knows, you might score a little humility in the process.

ProudTexEx

Lance Armstrong owns a popular bar in Downtown Austin named SIX (opened after his 6th victory). Sadly it will now be called ZERO.

me

I'm not an American, so I'm not all up on the suing procedure like y'all are, but he had cancer, of course he would be on drugs. Alot of drugs they give you for treatments make you extremely tired and left with no immune system. There is one drug I know of for sure that they give cancer patients, is a drug that is used on people going out of the country where malaria is present. I'm sure that alot of drugs that he was on would be considered enhancement drugs, but are used for his disease. The fact that he got out there and did what he did, and made a **** load of money for cancer research, shows that he did care about the cause. I'm sure most people know someone with cancer, and that they are extremely ill and tired all the time, so if he had anything in his system to enhance his mobility, it probably gave him the energy he needed to get through. This is just my opinion, but I just don't understand the huge deal everyone is making of it.

your own luck

I have one steadfast truism about life: I don't care who you are, Karma will always come back and bite you in the ass.

News Flash

I guess he gets to keep all the money he made.

News Flash

Give the race victories to those who really won. What an exciting day for them!

Eyespy

Hmmm, you'll drop someone that took illegal drugs to enhance their performance to win, BUT you'll keep around someone who abused and killed innocent animals???
While I applaud you for not supporting someone who is willing to do everything and anything they can to win, you must look at the big picture.
Dogs were hung from trees, had their teeth ripped out so they couldn't fight back, etc.
What's worse???
You'll never catch me walking around in a pair of Nike shoes!

Gen

I have to disagree with most of the comments. I don't know why but I still feel that he's innocent, that he didn't participate in doping. He's done so much for that charity, I find it very sad that he has to step down.

Laura

Good job, Nike! I hope the children of America can have a real role model someday soon.

Celeb Gossip Addict

I've been waiting for karma to come for this guy every since he left his family for Sheryl Crow. He should be grateful he doesn't have to give back the millions he made cheating.

Eagle

What I don't get is that he had cancer and then he puts something in his body that could kill him in the future. Not too bright.

pat

.........as he fades into the sunset.

Knew all along he was dirty.

Good riddance. Now go sit on your mounds of cash and keep on denying. That's all you got left.

SoWhat

The USADA has not released any evidence of any wrong doing by Lance, the only thing they have ever done is spew unfounded accusations. The USADA is not a court of law and they have no real power to do anything but for some reason people seem to believe the garbage these guys say without any proof of anything. Lance is innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments