Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

Eagles Coach Andy Reid

Heroin Overdose

Killed His Son

10/18/2012 12:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Eagles head coach Andy Reid's son died from a self-injected heroin overdose ... according to the Coroner's investigation of Garrett Reid's death.

Garrett was found dead on August 5 in his room at Lehigh University ... where the Eagles were holding training camp.

The Northampton County Coroner and D.A.'s Office announced the results of their investigations -- and revealed they had found 47 syringes, 65 needles, and a number of spoons in Garrett's gym bag.

29-year-old Garrett had battled drug addiction for years.

The D.A. said they are still looking into where Garrett got the heroin and the paraphernalia.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

No Avatar


That's a lot of syringes and needles!!

736 days ago


Great parenting Andy. He has always put football FIRST. The players showed more remorse than he did and I don't want to hear people handle loss in different ways. He is a jerk of a parent.

736 days ago


Heroin is killing this generation and it is scary.

736 days ago


Too bad they don't investigate the dealers when the everyday, non-famous person dies. A good friend of mine died of a heroin OD. I combed through phone records and found out his dealers #. I gave it to the detectives who were handling the case and they did not seem the least bit interested.

Now I am living the nightmare of my oldest son using heroin. I suspected that something was off and I was right. He OD'ed one night and I found him just in time.

Victoriagirl--Our search of his bedroom netted at least twenty syringes.

Nadine--you're right, addiction doesn't discriminate. Our son was raised in a loving home environment. Neither my husband or I did drugs or barely even drank for that matter. I know that we are in the fight of our lives to try and help him. Please pray for us.

736 days ago

vanessa dawson    

The way i see it is,if you r going to stick a needle in your arm,just to get high, then u deserve what comes to u....Plus he had alot of **** in his gym bag,he was definitely enjoying himself...What an idiot i don't feel sorry 4 anyone who does stupid **** like that....And doing it at Lehigh University where our kids go to college to learn,, U gort what u deserve...

736 days ago

JR Jake    

That is why they call heroin 'smack'. It will blindside you and take you out of life quicker than any drug on the market. Those who survive addiction have a fair chance at life, those who don't die. Sadly many a father's son and daughter did it only one time, and it placed the final nail in their coffin. It must really hurt to lose a child, no matter how long ago. I like Andy, said story though.

736 days ago


What no one has said but should be known is that by listing Garrett's death as "accidental" his life insurance pays out double indemnity

736 days ago

Bill Leslie    

Darwin laughs and laughs and laughs -- there's not a lot of sympathy for people who get a head start in life and then throw it all away.

736 days ago


Both of the sons have been in trouble for years. This is very sad, but not one bit surprising.

736 days ago


Interview with the parents in 2007

736 days ago



707 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2

Around The Web