Big Tex

Texas State Fair Icon

Goes Up in Flames

10/19/2012 12:25 PM PDT BY Johnny Lopez

Big Tex on FIRE!Everything really is bigger in Texas ... even when their state fair icon goes up in flames.

Big Tex -- the famous 52 foot State Fair of Texas mascot -- was destroyed in an electrical fire at Fair Park in Dallas this morning.

Wearing size 70 boots and a 75 gallon hat, Big Tex had been greeting fair goers since 1952 and was celebrating his 60th birthday.

While the State Fair officially ends Sunday, the Dallas Mayor promised Big Tex will be back by saying, "We'll rebuild him and make him better than ever for the 21st Century."

some guy

Hope the next iteration of Big Tex doesn't make it look like he got implants.

renealvrz6

Looks

MrHarrybawls2010

Can I have your phone number? Thanks. I will be at the Costco in Ft. Worth, Texas at 11 tonite (wearing a large red hat so u recognize me).

renealvrz6

Deep fryer went too far today!!!

newbigtex

Please submit your ideas for the New Big Tex to www.newbigtex.com

TexasGal

Actually, he set himself on fire to protest the Longhorns $hitty performance against OU.

MrHarrybawls2010

I fail to see the humour in this tragedy. I'm really shaken up about this. I know this may sound kind of cheesy, but can we all right now just put our hands to our computer screens and sing "Give Peace A Chance"? John would have wanted that....
Love,
Yoko

KnightBlind

I'm pretty sure this is a sign of the Apocalypse, or at least a foot note on the Mayan Calendar.

MrHarrybawls2010

In a perfect world, it would have fallen over right onto lindsay lohan's head.

clickadelic

Ah hell. He didn't even make it into retirement.

lorena

poor man, talk about blowing out the candle!

Rania, TX

RIP BIG TEX. It semes just like yesterday we were kickin' it. "Every step I take, Every move I make, Every single day, Every time I pray, I'll be missin' you" YEEHAW

AJ

They say the fire started in his voicebox, so in honor of our beloved Tex: He only had himself to blame, when he spoke he broke out into one big flame, his son certainly can learn from it, if he wants tobacco, well then he'll just spit.

Tickey Tock

Oh just great, now where will the rednecks gather and shoot their guns in the air?

Big Tex was like Stonehenge for a state full of NRA gunhugging crackheads.

island

It doesn't even look like the same thing. In one picture his mouth is open and the burning one his mouth is closed. What gives???

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments