Chevy Chase

'Community' Star Drops

the N-Word During Rant

10/20/2012 1:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1020-chevy-chase-community-tmz
Chevy Chase
had another verbal outburst on the set of "Community" yesterday during filming, this time dropping the N-word during a rant about the direction of the show.

Sources on set tell TMZ ... Chase was complaining about the direction of his character, who he feels has grown increasingly bigoted as the years have gone on. We're told Chase was becoming uncomfortable with the material and was frustrated that his previous conversations about the writing had seemingly gone ignored.

According to our sources, Chase got so heated while discussing his character, he yelled out something along the lines of ... What's next? Am I gonna say the word ni**er?

We're told Chase apologized to the cast and crew for the comment, which was not directed at anyone in particular, certainly not the show's African-American cast members, Donald Glover and Yvette Nicole Brown.

Our sources say production was not halted at any point.

A rep for NBC had no comment.

This isn't Chase's first dust-up on "Community" -- he famously left the show's creator, Dan Harmon, an expletive-laden voicemail message.

Voiceofreason

This show sucks balls anyhow...

Whats The World Comin To

He didn't call any black people the "n-word" he was just saying what he didn't want his character to say. I think people are making a big deal about this over nothing. I like him as an actor, and I think the producers and writers should listen to his ideas, because they could be valuable.

Jim in Cali

This guy is a hateful raging liberal. Not surprised he would act like an assclown. Yo Chevy, you are an actor, you do what the writers tell you what to do. If you don't like it then write your own sitcom.

TheEric

Didn't he call Richard Pryor the N word?

joecrabs

Everybody take a step back and a deep breath. He didn't call anyone nigg3r, he just said it in a sentence. Any black dude on that set probably calls their mother one in casual conversation, so to say that it is offensive to black people is just stupid. If it was, they wouldn't use it. But they do, about as freely as white guys say "dude", so don't try and tell me black people think its offensive.

Blue Lake

Fire this cretin. Real-life Chevy is 100 times more racist than his character.

Keyser Söze

Showing your outrage of playing a bigot by acting just like a bigot...

Is it what happen when you get old? You become all senile and stuff?

Anyway... great way to lose an argument, Chevy. Sucks to be you.

John Galt

If I wanted to read misleading headlines I would go to Yahoo. Stop this crap if you expect us to keep click on your links. Fool me once, shame on me...fool me twice and I won't be fooled again.

Jerry

Just tried to watch an episode of "Community" and it's so bad, it was impossible to watch. Got through about a quarter of it, and it's really lame, no laughs at all. Chevy, you are 100% right.

Spicy mag

Chevy does t care about black people.

Stephanie

I am so sick and tired of society's extreme sensitivity to "political correctness". They are twisting it - his comment was about not wanting to portray a bigot. He apologized for nothing - probably knew it would turn into a big thing if he didn't and felt forced. Lighten up world!

Blue Lake

Why is this no talent even on teevee?

burning_plastic

I'm not a psychologist but if I had to break it down I'd say he wanted to say it without the responsibility of saying it. It might not make him a racist but angry controlling people will try to hurt other people and damage their self-esteem so they don't want to argue again and give in. He's really old and I'm sure he's heard a lot of white people say the word about black people. His angry side took over for a second but he managed not to go full-Kramer, and now he's talked his way out of it.

YouDontSay

I understand where he is coming from

TMP

This is a prime example of TMZ misleading the story with a title that implies something else altogether. I actually totally understand where he's coming from. I've watched the show and his character is very racist and Chase has had issue with it for a long time. His character didn't really start out that way at first. He used the word as an example of what he DOESN'T WANT TO SAY. That makes sense.