Mitt Romney

Court Battle Over His Involvement in Bitter Divorce

10/24/2012 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1023_mitt_romney_getty_article
update_bar
6:45AM PT  Gloria Allred
is in court in Boston and she is representing Maureen Sullivan Stemberg (below). We just got the details about Romney's testimony in the Stemberg divorce. Click here to read it.

1024_maureen_sullivan_stemberg_gloria_allred_splashnews_arriving
7:30AM PT  The court hearing where the Boston Globe is asking a judge to unseal Stemberg divorce documents -- including Romney's testimony -- has been continued until Thursday morning. We're waiting to see if Allred comments on the case.

8:05AM PT  Gloria and Maureen walked out of court. They did not comment.

102412_gloria_allred_launch

0314_divider_graphic
Mitt Romney
was heavily involved in the extremely messy divorce of one of his key supporters ... and the Boston Globe is going to court first thing Wednesday morning in an attempt to unseal the court file as well as lift a gag order ... TMZ has learned.

The divorce was between Staples co-founder Tom Stemberg and his first wife Maureen. We're told the divorce battle lasted for years and was extremely ugly.

Sources tell us Romney gave both a deposition in the divorce and testified in the trial. According to our sources, the Boston Globe got a tip that there was "juicy information about Romney" in the sealed documents.

Romney, Stemberg and Maureen were all served papers by the Globe notifying them that the paper was trying to unseal the case and lift the gag order enforced on all parties.

According to an article in the Boston Globe in 2005, Maureen received nearly 500,000 shares of Staples stock in the divorce ... but sold half her shares before the company went public.

Stemberg and Romney's business ties go deep. Bain Capital helped launch Staples ... widely seen as the first big success for Romney's venture capital company -- and Romney sat on Staples' board of directors for many years.

Our sources say Tom has filed papers opposing the Globe's motion. Romney's lawyers have not responded.

Tom has been a major Romney supporter, even speaking for five minutes at the Republican National Convention.

We're told Gloria Allred represents someone connected with the divorce and we believe -- though we have not confirmed it -- that is Maureen.

If the gag order is lifted, Maureen and others could freely talk about the divorce ... less than two weeks before the election.

MAX

NOPE, DONT CARE

PAN66

This freak is always looking for ways to get her name in the news. She and Donald just need to run off to a private island and start their own little country.

OBAMA CLAUS

Someone should put a gag order on Gloria sometimes she gets under the fingernails.like chalkboard_you'll get it later_lol_have a lovely day if you are voting for Romney_if not then______self.

Lucy Lu

I see that S***bag Gloria Allred is up to her gutter trash workings again. And this is supposed to make people forget about 4 dead Americans and the WH watched them die all because they didn't want the cir***stances around their deaths to create a problem for his political bid for the WH. Yea, right. Good luck Gloria. You look even lower than you ever did before.

HatersGonnaHate

I didn't need this story to know that Mittens is a liar and a scam. However, I will say that I DESPISE that troll named Gloria Allred. She sets women back at least 100 years.

WontStickAround

Some of you all need to really get your heads together..If Mittens does win, I hope he screws you silly imbeciles over!! You think this man really gives a sh*t about you and your economy, this man can leave at any given day and VANISH with his millions!! I wish some of your Mother's would have kept that sperm in their mouths..this world would be a better place indeed!! You sit behind a PC and try to look down your nose, when in fact, you need to get off your lazy behinds and find a frickin solution!! How dumb can you possibly be, Our CIC may not be the best on every aspect, but hell, why would you want someone who thinks of you as nothing..who thinks that women should be barefoot and pregnant (Look up the Mormon tradition) and could care less about this case..because if there's a will, the ReTHUGlicans will indeed make a way!! And if you reply to this, sorry, but my business hours are from 7a-4p..and since none of you loonies are paying me..YOU WON'T GET A RESPONSE!! LBVS!! Ciao.....

juggalo 6

Obummer and friends sure are getting desperate. Time to take out the trash. This situation is just like the Herman Cain episode where none of these women actually showed any proof, they just rode the media circus.

Rose

This woman is greedy. 25 years ago was the divorce.

How dose this woman thats suing have the money to live in 5000 plus apartment a month. Most apartments cost anywhere from 400 to 800. Maureen Sullivan a little about her: I have been an interior designer for over 20 years. During that time, have owned and operated design firms in Boston and Palm Beach.illustrated for design & fashion. I was the youngest member to be selected in Who's Who, and my work has been featured in many magazines and books. The book I was most delighted to be in was "100 Top Designers Favorite Rooms (by:John L. Pelham), along with several television appearances and recently honored for my contribution in design "Women of Distinction," 2006. I am presently working on a book...my best
Okay, now that I got the "resume" out of the way..."What mo~zy really is?"
I love music, especially the lyrics, public transportation, talking to strangers & walking
away hoping I made a friend..., dislike stereotypes, hate ignorance of any kind, think
it's alright to make mistakes, believe in smiling as much as possible, in giving people the benefit of doubt, I love nature and it's beauty, I enjoy life...Most importantly, why I am here... I am a voracious reader. I also enjoy writing...I welcome all discussions and double welcome recommendations.

I believe in finding one's passion...You're only given a little spark of magic or madness. You mustn't lose it.

mo~zy « lessBoston, Ma
member since July 6, 2007
!

Rottweiler

Who cares about this crap? Anyone, I repeat anyone who looks to Gloria Allred for "honesty" and "integrity" in representing the slime of the City are brain dead and missing a synapse to boot. She is a OPPORTUNIST! Even if he did testify in court against a money grubbing gold digger (who probably hired a top attorney to represent her and I don't mean Allred) I would believe his testimony over the Clinton Witch and Obama lies that have gone unchecked by the liberal media matters biased crowd and that includes TMZ who are so blatantly against Romney in their nightly rants, what would you expect from the Hollywood entertaining liberal arogant. I can't wait until they get that ****ty Obamacare national healthcare. May they all rot with their ****ty SAG-AFTRA union coverage which will be underbid by the crappy government's! HA HA HA HA

Robert Mueller

Just another example of the MIttster lying about big bucks. If his lips are moving, he's lying about his favorite subject: $$$$.

Rita

once a liar always a liar. can't trust Mitt.

Throwback kid

Nothing is as bad as the lies that Obama and Hillary Clinton are telling us about the for Americans murdered in Benghazi. Hillary Clinton should resign immediately. They should all go in front of congress and answer questions under oath. It is a crime what Obama and his people are doing with this, we are tired of all the lies

Vote2012

This old goat is a pure hack, she earned her law degree at some community college night school, she should be behind bars for all the lies and dirt she has stirred up over the years....I hope someone sues her for slander.

OG

TMZ wants an ultra Liberal to stay in office that's why they're coming out with these stories, but the looks of it, the majority of the people here now better. I'm so glad I'm not a Liberal anymore!

southpaw

That ambulance chasing bitch needs to get run over by one one the vehicles she chases for MEDIA attention! What a crock!